Twin Shadows

"So, they killed the healer and wanted to..." Lidia muttered with a frown. "We suspected them, and there are other victims, but we weren't sure..."

Eldi had explained what had happened in Tenakk and in the dungeon. And in turn, Lidia had told him how she and her brother had moved in the shadows, opposing the nobility and royalty, who were increasingly ambitious.

At first, both siblings had tried to make them believe that Eldi was still there, although they hadn't been able to hide the truth forever. After it was known that he wasn't the one who was really helping the inhabitants of the kingdom, and as the old generations, who had made the promise directly, were making way to the new ones, part of the nobility had been gaining confidence and arrogance, forgetting the fear and denying what their parents or grandparents had agreed.

It is true that there were also those who honored the agreement made in the past. They were rulers with empathy towards their people, or they understood that, in the long term, treating their vassals fair was a better investment than exploiting them in the short term. But nothing they could do about the conditions of those who resided in lands that were not theirs, though they indirectly benefited, as many talents migrated to safer places.

Both siblings, along with other comrades and different factions of the rebels, had kept the most despotic nobility in check, even executing some of them. But, little by little, they had been losing strength, in large part because, far from improving, the situation had been worsening. And, with no prospects for the future, not wanting to lose more friends and family, many had abandoned the fight, further undermining the force that was opposing the abuse of those who held power.

But Eldi's return had changed the prospects, bringing back the most powerful weapon they could count on: the hope for a better future.

He had listened very seriously to his daughter's explanations, whose head was laying on his shoulder. It had become clear that his acts in the past and his presence in the present had an even deeper impact than he had believed. He found the responsibility overwhelming, and also unavoidable. More than ever, he couldn't abandon them, but he could do little for now.

"I'll do everything I can. But, for now, I need to regain my power."

"I know. The best thing for you would be to leave the kingdom for a while, it's too dangerous to be here," she suggested, looking at him with wet eyes. "Besides, just by returning, you've already done a lot. That they know you're back changes everything. Especially for me and Líodon."

The tears weren't only for the reunion with his father, for being able to be again with him, but also for so many memories that she had revived when recounting the past. It hurt to have to tell him to leave, but it was the best choice, and it would only be for a while.

Eldi nodded, and was going to ask a question, but he remained with his mouth open, having suddenly remembered something. Lidia looked at him strangely, but she was even more surprised when he took out two short swords, whose auras, somehow, were strangely fascinating.

"They are called Twin Shadows. They have a very special condition to wield them: their owners must be twins. They are powerful on their own, but only if the two twins fight together, their full potential can be released," explained the man, while unsheathing one of them and showing her the black blade.

Lidia took one of them with devotion. She was feeling as if she had always been waiting for it, as if a part of her soul, which she had never known it had been taken from her, had returned to her. She had no doubt that she and that weapon were made for each other.

"I got it in the Swamp of Shadows, a long time ago. I wanted to give them to you when you were older, but..."

Lidia opened her eyes even wider than when she took the sword. She knew that his father had been there for several days, but he had never wanted to tell them why. She knew now.

"Thanks daddy!" she hugged him gratefully. "I'll take the other one to Líodon." Ted will die of envy!

"Ted?"

"Yes, my son..."

"I have a grandson!?"

"Oh, right, I haven't told you that yet," she laughed at his father's surprise.

"Well, start talking..." he demanded, with his arms crossed and his face serious, pretending to be irritated.

She laughed again, amused. She knew he was pretending, he had done it in the past making fun of them, as it was how they behaved when they were angry, as children. When she calmed down, still smiling, she began to explain more personal aspects of her past and her brother's. It should be said that Líodon's past was explained in much more detail than her own, especially in the most embarrassing anecdotes about him.

It wasn't until the next day that they left, having Lidia, or Lati, said goodbye to her acquaintances in the city, including the group of young adventurers with whom Eldi had entered the dungeon. Some time later, they would receive weapons of great quality and austere appearance, made by him and with a note of thanks.

Eldi would sign with the name of Fínord, but at that point they would be already suspecting his true identity. And those weapons would only confirm it, because it was said that some visitors were great artisans.

They would have liked to thank him in person for his help in the dungeon and the weapons, especially for the consideration of not making them flashy. That way, they would avoid suspicion, or that other people would want to steal them.

They would also feel somewhat overwhelmed to have met a legend in person, and to receive his attention, but at no time would they flaunt about it. They weren't so dumb as not to know that it would be dangerous to do so.

In addition, they wouldn't have forgotten Lati's words warning them, words that would then make sense, and that would cast a shadow of doubt on the kind merchant's true identity. However, there would be no one to ask.