Chapter one: Caleb

Chapter one: Caleb

“Nobody owns life, but anyone who can pick up a frying pan owns death.” 
― William S. Burroughs

The screech was not even that scary, it was only the part that the screech screamed for help, and that then the whole school was quiet, like they were saying: ‘We pray for you, little girl’. And that is where our story starts.

Caleb started running, the moment the teacher began to talk again, like nothing happened. The screech may be normal, Caleb thought, while he ran through the door, but it was a screech. And the screech searched for help. Well, Caleb wasn’t the most thoughtful person, if it came to little people, but he couldn’t handle a screech so full of pain. Like someone was going to be killed.

There were people talking in the hallways, but they stopped that when the sixteen year old boy ran into them, excused himself and ran further. That was the moment the second screech came to him.

This one didn’t shout for anything. It just screamed, like hell came down to earth. Goosebumps found their way to his arms and he felt the cold of the scream. Now there was a little rush in the school. A rush that scared Caleb to death.

Caleb ran further, with his hands around his arms. He didn’t know where he was going, but he knew that he was following the scream. He also knew that the yell came from somewhere close to the gym classrooms, what obviously scared him. That place was creepy as hell. Even the oldest and the creepiest persons in the school agreed with that.

He never thought his little school would be so extremely big when he needed it to be little. He was fast, he knew that, but he wasn’t fast enough. The thoughts came to him like in a dream. Not important and he forgot them at the moment another thought came up. He thought of the punishment he would probably get for leaving a classroom without any permission, but he didn’t care about that. He also - for once - didn’t care about the things that other people may thought about him, while he passed them running.

He finally got to the gyms, where nobody was hanging around. That was strange, because the gym places were some kind of eating place for nobody’s. Nobody’s like Fred the Tomatohead, or however Kaithlyn was calling him. And for the first time he thought that Kaithlyn wasn’t really nice to people. But the next thought was that he wasn’t either.

With trembling hands he opened the door. He was sweating like hell and he hated it, but he didn’t do anything about it. He couldn’t. The doorknob found itself going down and the door opened automatically. The whole time Caleb was sure that he would enter the gym, but now he struggled. What if there was a body in there. A dead body. And his friends already laughed at the fact that he hated horror movies.

Caleb opened the door. With a new kind of courage he stepped into  the changing-room, thinking that he needed to forget his thoughts and all his bad feelings, because this was school. Not some insane murder house.

There wasn’t a body in the cloakrooms, but Caleb convinced himself to go into the shower place. He knew that that was the place where everybody always got killed in that kind of horror movies. And he hated himself for that. So he thought of a game. If he would go into the shower place, he would buy himself something from the sweetshop on his way to home.

So he stepped into the showers, hoping the sweets were worth it. Oh, and if he thought of it now - what he did quite a lot - he wouldn’t even thought about going into the showers. Because what he found inside, was more scary than anything he had ever seen in his whole life. It was indeed a body. A dead body. A body that was probably innocent, because a student at their school would never do something that would lead you ending up like this.