Chapter twenty-one: Grayson

“Dying is overrated.”

― Karen Marie Moning, Shadowfever

They were sitting in the shutter for two hours when the first message in the dark came. Someone, they couldn’t see who, opened the door to the shutter and there fell a package in to the shutter. Ellie was fast enough to get to the package before the person shut the door. She got – by sound of their voices – back to the place where they sat, way, way back from the body. When they opened the package, they found a flashlight, which they turned on and then they could see the whole shutter. But that wasn’t really interesting and looking at the body of their – or Ellie’s – friend wasn’t really nice. So they got their interest into the mail they did get and out of the box. They got some cans with food in them, and they got a pot. When they opened the pot, they found some hair, and a message.

She looks very peaceful.

Grayson could hear Caleb’s breath speed up, as he found out that the hair was his mom’s. The killer had access to the hospital, to his house and the most important thing, to his family. What if they didn’t get some hair from his mom, but a head. The killer could have gone a little bit down, and snap her whole neck. Grayson imagined the head of Caleb’s mom in this box and could throw up, but he didn’t, because Caleb probably would in a couple of minutes. And Ellie would probably need to do it whenever she saw Alyssa’s body, or the door to it. Grayson just realized that they didn’t shut it, and that made everything even worse, so he took the flashlight and walked to the secret part of the shutter.

There he shut the door and tried not to look to the body and all the blood, what was obviously not something that would last long. Then he went back to their little ‘camp’ and helped Joshua with the food. They ate a little bit of the food they got, because they didn’t know how long it would take to let people know that they were here. When they got to sleep, Grayson first couldn’t, but when he saw his dreams, he wished he never fell asleep.

He saw all the dead people he could remember. They were standing above him. When Grayson looked around him, he could see that he was in the same shutter, but it was empty this time and there wasn’t any blood, nor a dead body. Grayson screamed to Kaithlyn: ‘Get me out of here! Please, help me!’ But it seemed like no one could hear him. The dead people who were standing above him, talked in their own language, like a whisper. Grayson couldn’t understand what they were saying and that was really frustrating. Then another guy stepped forward. Grayson hadn’t noticed him, but now he did and he got really scared. Well, it wasn’t scared, it was more terrified. The guy standing in front of him, was completely covered in black. On his face was a dark mask. He was the killer.

He heard his digital laugh and all the things he had said to them in the night they had ran so much and they were locked into the stairs. Then he saw the movie playing again. After that, all the messages rushed through his head, like a quickened movie. They became a mess, after he had saw all of them, and when he looked up, Grayson saw that he wasn’t standing in the shutter anymore, but in a grave, and all the people were still looking at him, but now they were all in black clothes and they had shovels in their hands.

‘No,’ Grayson said, realizing that they were going to bury him alive. ‘Please.’ He took a look at Kaithlyn. ‘Please, Kaith, you’re my friend.’

The killer laughed. ‘Don’t you know? They all belong to me now!’

Grayson cried, as the people laughed. He had lost them. He had lost his friends, and enemies. He had even lost the support of the people he couldn’t even name. And that was the most devastating one, because he knew that he – maybe – deserved Kaithlyn leaving him, and his enemies turning to the killer was obvious, but the people he didn’t even know, didn’t have an opinion on him, so how did the killer turned them to his side? That was the question.