Chapter three: Ellie

“I’ve always felt that the best place to hide a body is in the trunk of a cop car, with a note affixed to the body that reads, “I’m sorry.”
― Jarod Kintz, There are Two Typos of People in This World: Those Who Can Edit and Those Who Can't

Ellie’s hands shacked. She deserved to die. It was easy as hell, but the four words made her feel like she was being watched. And that was already going on a long time. A thrill went through her body, as she read the text twice. Then she opened another text message. It was one from Kaithlyn, saying they should meet, because she got a weird text.

I’ve got one too, she texted back. I’m there in two minutes. She sent it and put her phone down. Then she looked up to her football friend Alyssa, who was watching her awkwardly. Alyssa had no phone herself, because she was pretty poor, and her dad didn’t like mobiles, or any electric devises.

‘Everything OK?’ she asked, with a nervous smile.

‘Yes,’ Ellie said quickly, not causing any bad thoughts. ‘I need to go, Kaithlyn needs me.’ It wasn’t a lie, but it also wasn’t the truth. Was there something between those two? That was something Ellie asked herself very often, because she had this moments very often. Alyssa didn’t like her other friends, and her other friends didn’t like Alyssa, so she needed to lie sometimes. It was for their own good. And hers, obviously.

‘Well, success then,’ Alyssa said, sensing there really was something going on. But Alyssa was that kind of girl who noticed, but didn’t said anything about it, and that was really nice.

‘Bye,’ Ellie said to her friend and she left her alone standing in a crowded hallway.

‘What the hell is going on,’ Grayson said. ‘Meeting place, three times a day? I think we’re hitting some kind of record here.’

‘So what?’ Kaithlyn said irritated. ‘Three times with reasons, probably. What does it even matter?’

‘Well, I was talking to Alyssa,’ Ellie explained Grayson, who looked pretty grumpy.

‘What are you even doing with that stupid kid,’ Kaithlyn asked. ‘She isn’t popular, she isn’t beautiful, she’s a nobody.’

‘Not every nice person is popular, Kaith,’ Joshua said.

‘You called it, so how about you say what’s wrong,’ Caleb changed the subject.

‘Who of you got a text?’ Ellie said. ‘I got one, and Kaithlyn too.’

‘We all did,’ Grayson said.

‘So, if you know what was in the text, you wouldn’t say anything like that.’ Ellie said, sensing something fishy.

‘Oh come on,’ Joshua said. ‘Who knows what that girl did. Maybe it was an extreme bitch or something. We don’t know.’

‘Exactly,’ Kaithlyn said. ‘We don’t know. So how about we find out?’

‘Third period start in like two minutes or something.’ Grayson said, while he went with his hand through his hair. ‘Maybe we need to just calm down. I know that someone was killed and that that’s something big, but we still don’t know anything. We can go through all the pictures of blond girls at this school, but we still won’t find her. It’s useless. So let’s just wait until we get some information.’

Ellie stared at him. ‘Someone was killed. Maybe the killer is still in this school.’

 ‘Maybe,’ Grayson said, with his eyebrows high. ‘We don’t know.’