Chapter twenty-six: Caleb

“How dreadful...to be caught up in a game and have no idea of the rules.”

― Caroline Stevermer, Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot

‘You?’ Caleb’s voice trembled.

‘Yeah, my dearest Caleb, don’t you think that your Head can play a game?’ The Head laughed.

‘Now we do,’ Joshua said, an action to be funny, bu tit wasn’t. This guy was the reason they were in so much trouble, Caleb thought. He was the reason Kaithlyn died. He was the reason Alyssa died. He was the reason that they needed to break in a church. All of this was his fault. He really needed to calm himself, because he was sure that he wanted to slap the guy really hard.

‘You’re Wren?’ Ellie asked. ‘What?’

Now the killer got a little angry. ‘Don’t remind met on that, when you don’t want to be killed.’ Now Caleb saw the gun in his hand and he got nervous. They knew who the killer was, was he going to kill them now?

‘Why don’t you just tell us what happened.’ Caleb threw his arms in the air, like he gave away everything he had, but that was just an act and Caleb was afraid that the killer knew that too. ‘How did you do all of this. And why?’

The killer laughed. ‘You really want to know the truth, Caleb? Do you want to know what you did to your friends? All of this is your fault. Do you want them to know why they are in such trouble?’

Ellie calmed him, because she put her hand on his shoulder. ‘We don’t mind,’ she said, with a voice full of tears. ‘He’s our friend.’

‘He is the reason Kaithlyn is dead,’ the killer yelled and they all took  a step away. ‘Do you really think that you aren’t angry at him when I tell you what happened.’

‘Why don’t you just tell us what happened, then we can decide for ourselves.’ Grayson frowned. ‘I don’t think that we would be angry at our friend after everything that happened. I think we will be more angry at you.’

‘Oh, that’s for sure,’ the killer said, ‘that’s the reason that I brought this.’ He let them see the gun and pointed it at Caleb’s head. ‘Why don’t you all take a seat? I still have a surprise for you!’

Caleb knew that he didn’t have a choice, so he sat down on one of the teachers’ chairs, who were really comfortable, but that wasn’t the thing that was on his mind at the moment. The killer still pointed the gun on his hand, when he walked to the closet, where usually were some maps in or something teacher-ish. Caleb felt the fear coming to him. One push on the trigger and a bullet would fly away to his head and he would be dead. He knew that he wouldn’t be fast enough to spring away. He heard his friends sitting down next to him. Ellie took his right hand and he calmed down again. They were going through all of this together. Hopefully they wouldn’t leave him alone, after all of the things they heard. He didn’t know the story himself, but he was afraid that it really was his fault.

Ellie, who felt his fear, said: ‘Don’t worry, we will all be fine.’ Then she whispered. ‘The killer sent the police after us, remember?’

The killer/Head opened the closet and a person rolled out of it. Caleb couldn’t see who it was, because she fell on her face, but he felt concerned. Why did the Head have a woman in here? When she was put next to him, he could see who she was. She was his mom. The Head laughed.

‘Well Valentina, I bet you feel really guilty for being pregnant.’ Caleb’s mom, who had a strip of duct tape on her mouth, cried. ‘You had to choose me!’ Valentina made a noise that they couldn’t decode. ‘Oh come here.’ The killer pulled her chair to him and put the gun to her head. With his other hand, he removed the strip duct tape from her mouth. Caleb could yell, cry and do everything to save his mom, but it was no use. He wanted to help her. He hated that she cried. For a moment he hated her, but he also hated himself. If this really was his fault, he would never be able to live with himself. Then it was his fault that Kaithlyn died. It was his fault that all of this had happened. It was his fault that all those people had died. It was all his fault.