Chapter four: Grayson

“The greatest thrill is not to kill but to let live.” 
― James Oliver Curwood, The Grizzly King

‘That’s no clue at all,’ Joshua said angry, but he was interrupted by the intercom.

‘Hello,’ a voice, that wasn’t the voice of the officer, said. ‘Can I have your attention? Good. So we watched all the security pictures, and we came to the conclusion that the murderer didn’t come in our out of the school. It is one of the people in the school here and you can’t leave until we find out who it is.’

A protesting rush flowed though the school.

‘I’m sorry for this, but we can’t let you leave. The lessons you have next, are canceled and you can call your parents. We won’t take away your phones, but you just can’t leave. I’m -’

The voice was brutally interrupted by another. This one sounded like a robot, and was very creepy. ‘Hello everybody. I’m not going to tell you my name…’

‘Sorry, we’re being hacked,’ the other man said.

‘… but I am the killer. I’m one of you. Just so you know, this wasn’t the first and this wasn’t the last kill I’ll do. I’m not sorry, that girl deserved to die.’

‘No worries,’ the other man came though the hack, ‘this is just a game.’

‘Indeed,’ the killer said. ‘This is a game. So game on.’

Then a silence came, which was so terrifying. The only thing Grayson could here was the breath of his friends, and himself. Then the intercom said something again. Well, it said nothing, it just played a song. A creepy song.

‘Oh, before I forget,’ the computer edited voice said. ‘You have a choice. You can play the game, or you can leave, but your choice will infect your life.’

The creepy song stopped playing and the intercom cracked again, letting them know the killer was gone. Also the cop man didn’t come back to tell them everything was going to be fine. There was a silence. A deadly silence.

Grayson had Goosebumps on his arms and he was the first to talk again. ‘What the hell was that?’

‘A children’s song,’ Kaithlyn said aghast. ‘My grandma used to sing it all the time, but after she died I wasn’t allowed to sing it anymore.’

‘Your grandma sang this to you?’ Ellie said. ‘No doubt your parents forbid it from singing.’

‘Guys, this man’s crazy,’ Caleb said stumbling. ‘He killed a girl, and he’s going to do it again. I bet if you don’t play his game, he’ll kill you.’  

‘He had us first,’ Ellie said, ‘now he’s controlling the whole school. Why did he or she texted us first?’

‘Maybe because Caleb found the body,’ Grayson offered.

‘That doesn’t make any sense,’ Ellie said. ‘Then he could easily just kill Caleb - no offence. Why would he take us down too?’

‘Again, he plays a game,’ Joshua said. ‘Maybe it’s just that, a game. If we know the rules, maybe we can play it like he does.’

‘And kill people,’ Kaithlyn said, ‘no way.’

‘Not that way,’ Joshua said, rolling his eyes. ‘Maybe we can play it with him, against him.’

‘Smart boy,’ Ellie said. ‘But how’re we going to find out the rules?’

Their phones ringed again. It began to be an extremely creepy noise, all the ringtones together.