Chapter nineteen: Caleb

“Death doesn’t happen to you Lydia, it happens to everyone around you!”

 - Stiles Stilinski, Teen Wolf.

Caleb got home from an exhausting day of school. He had almost not spoke to any of his friends. Grayson was fully watched, with the killer checking up on him for almost 24/7. He could be trapped so quickly. And his parents didn’t want Caleb to speak to his friend anymore, after what happened. That was obviously dumb, because Grayson didn’t even lie. But because of the killer watching them all the time, they couldn’t hang out. And Grayson needed to go straight home after school, so they couldn’t meet up in a crowded place or something like that.

Caleb fell down at his bed and opened his phone. He read some messages his friends sent to him and then he put down his phone and got to his computer, where he did most of his homework on. He couldn’t concentrate at his math homework or any other class, so he skipped that and fell down at his bed again. Then he got a text from Joshua.

Come here, now, SOS. See if you can take Grayson with you.

Caleb stood up and picked up his leather jacket from the floor. He took his keys from the plate downstairs and opened the door. Then he raced to Grayson’s house and knocked on the door.

‘Caleb,’ Grayson’s mom said, ‘you know Grayson is not allowed to see any of his friends, don’t you?’

‘Yeah, of course I know,’ Caleb said, while gasping. ‘But this is an emergency. Can I speak to him right now, or take him with me?’

‘Can I know what this emergency is about?’ Grayson’s mom asked and she putted her arms around each other, what would look really weird when other people would do it, but it suited her.

‘Well, not really,’ Caleb said and he frowned. ‘Because I don’t know either.’

‘Why do you want to speak to Grayson then?’ Grayson’s mom said.

‘Look,’ Caleb said, ‘there is an emergency with Joshua and Ellie and I don’t know what it is, but it would be really nice if you just let your son go. I mean, we are all in the same place. You can’t blame your son for calling the police when he heard a noise or thought he heard the killer, because we know that there’s someone out there that’s trying to ruin our lives. Maybe the killer really was in your house. Have you thought of that? You can’t blame Grayson for being sure that he wouldn’t get killed. But that’s something between you two. Can I please just take him with me?’

‘Well, Caleb, because you ask me so nicely,’ Grayson’s mom thought for a couple of seconds, ‘you have two hours.’

‘Thank you so much!’ Caleb stepped inside and ran to his friend’s chamber. ‘Grayson! Wake up, or get up, or do whatever you need to do to get outside. This is an emergency.’

Grayson’s sleepy head turned around the door. ‘What? Caleb, how did you get here?’

‘Your mom let me in, but get dressed, we need to go to Joshua really quickly. They found something. They sent a SOS message.’

‘Give me two minutes.’ Grayson made some weird noises and he opened some stuff.

‘We’ve only two hours. I give you one.’ Caleb opened his phone and texted Joshua.

Got Gray, give us five minutes to be there.

He got a text back.

Be quick!

They got to Joshua’s house within four minutes and that made Caleb proud in a weird way. They were both exhausted and Grayson really looked like he was just out of his bed, but that didn’t matter. Caleb knocked on the door and gave his friend a expecting look. Joshua opened the door and let them in. He took them to his bedroom, without any talking. When they came there, Ellie was sitting behind Joshua’s desk and she was staring at his computer’s screen.