Chapter fourteen: Joshua

Chapter 14: Joshua

“We are born in one day. We die in one day. We can change in one day. And we can fall in love in one day. Anything can happen in just one day.”

― Gayle Forman, Just One Day

Grayson woke up on six o’clock, right before dinner. The bulled had hit him right in the stomach and the doctors could save him before he dies. There were a couple of moments where they thought he would thought he would die, but eventually he was ready. He was only sleeping really deep.

Ellie got Grayson a board of food and the others eventually they all ate something. It was gross, like the canteen ladies were also really shocked. The whole school was, and that made everything even more scary. The cops were walking around with pistols in their hands, but you didn’t know if they were protecting you, or that they were about to kill you. No one was being killed, like the killer was waiting to dark to make it extremely creepy.

‘What happened?’ Grayson asked and he groaned.

‘You got shot in your stomach,’ Joshua said and he smiled. ‘But no worries, you’re still alive.’

‘Fuck,’ Grayson swore. ‘How am I going to run from the killer now.’ And he pointed out what they were all scared of, that the killer was going to get them, all of them. He had only two nights left and he had hundreds of people to kill. They were all probable victims. There was a fear in Joshua’s stomach that he couldn’t really explain. It was more like he was sick, but still wasn’t. That kind of sick that you want to go home from school, but that you can’t because you weren’t sick enough.

‘Well, what if you won’t have to?’ Kaithlyn said and she looked around for camera’s or any suspicious people, but they weren’t there. ‘What if we just hide you from the killer.’

‘That’s impossible.’ Grayson smiled. ‘It’s OK, Kaith, we’ll probably all die.’

‘That’s not depressing at all,’ Joshua joked sarcastic. ‘Come on guy, we didn’t come so far to give up. If I need to, I’ll carry you myself.’

Grayson groaned again. ‘Please don’t, you’ll only make it worse to yourself.’

‘Well, you have like three hours to heal really fast, because then it will be dark and the killer will probably haunt us all.’ Caleb smiled, like that was the best thing that would ever happen to him, what it obviously wasn’t.

‘God,’ Grayson said and he took a bite from his bread, ‘I hope this is going to help. Are they poisoning us?’

‘They could, but I don’t think so,’ Ellie answered. ‘I think the police already know that that is something the killer would think of. Those girls are watched all day long.’

‘Did anything happen?’ Grayson asked.

‘Not really,’ Caleb said. ‘No one died and there weren’t any messages from the killer.’

‘Is that a good thing or a bad thing?’ Grayson asked himself.

‘Hopefully good,’ Ellie said, ‘but I think that the killer is saving stuff for in the dark. I think we’re going into the finally.’

‘I think we already are,’  Grayson said. ‘Guys, that video wasn’t good. We were really suspicious and I think that half of the school is thinking that we are the killers.’

‘Yeah, that’s true, but who cares,’ Caleb said, ‘when we get out here, we find another school and we will never see this stupid people again.’