Chapter six: Caleb

The life of the death is placed in the memory of the living.

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Caleb expected a silence, but he got a racket. His friends were complaining about the computer. Joshua was finding out who were also in the game. They found out their whole class was in it, and so were some other people, but somehow the killer was extremely interested in them, and not in others.

‘Guys, shut up,’ Caleb said, ‘if you don’t stop screaming, someone will find out we’re here.’

But they stopped talking before he finished his sentence.

‘Someone already did,’ Joshua said, and he turned around the screen. The letters were bouncing all over it, but Caleb could read it.

Game on.

‘We need to warn someone about this,’ he said. ‘I mean, we know more than probably the whole school. The cops need to know this.’

And then, they all got a text.

You’re in my game now, it said. Play it my way and your beloved ones will survive. There was an attachment. Caleb opened his. It was a picture of his mother, father and little brother, eating dinner.

‘Oh my god,’ Caleb said. ‘How did he get this picture.’

I’m everywhere, another text said.

‘Now I’m officially scared,’ Grayson said, while he threw his phone on the table. ‘We can’t tell the police about this. I’m not going to take the risk on killing my whole family plus Alicia.’ Alicia was his girlfriend, who he dated all summer. Now they had contact through Skype, because she lived in California and they lived in Iowa, which was really far.

‘I just remembered I didn’t call my parents,’ Kaithlyn said, ‘they must be so worried.’

‘I didn’t either, but this is not the time.’ Joshua putted down his phone. Then he disconnected the computer with the cables and he took the computer bag from the floor. ‘We need to take this with us. Which locker is the most empty?’

‘I think mine is,’ Grayson said, ‘but is it safe there?’

‘You still have your locker keys, don’t you?’ Joshua said.

‘Yes,’ Grayson said sinister. ‘But still, I don’t watch them all the time, and I really didn’t before this mess, so maybe the killer got some copy’s, or he can steal my keys.’ His words made Caleb shiver, it was another trick. A game in a game in a game. He got sick of it.

‘Yeah, you’re right,’ Ellie said. ‘Let’s just carry it with us.’

‘And don’t cause suspicion?’ Joshua said disdainful. ‘That’s impossible.’

‘Do you have another idea then?’ Caleb said pissed off. He was so over this. Why couldn’t they all just go home?

Then the intercom cracked again. ‘Hello, my name is Roger and I have a message for you. We will talk to all the classes, individually. There is an exact time you all need to be in your classroom, it’s 8 o’clock, PM.’

‘Oh come on,’ Kaithlyn said. ‘That’s rubbish.’

‘We will go by all the classes, this week, and we will talk to all the persons individually, like I said. Well, good luck, and sleep well.’

‘That was almost creepy ironic,’ Caleb said, while smiling.

‘Wait, do we have theories about who the killer might be?’ Joshua asked. ‘Because I don’t. After seeing what the killer did to Thomas, I don’t have any. I mean, who would do that?’