Chapter 3

JONAH

I was digging up dirt so the construction workers could place all the rocks over it for the railway lines. My walkie talkie buzzed.

"This is Gabriella from Melbourne, who am I speaking to?" Gabriella said on the walkie talkie.

"This is Jonah from the railway team" I said.

"Hey Jonah. I would like you guys to move on from building the railway and work on the old railway lines" Gabriella said.

"Ok. Can I ask why?" I asked.

"We would save a lot of our own resources, and older railway lines lead right to Adelaide. If we can clean it up and get it ready it will be a straight ride to Adelaide" Gabriella said.

"Ok. Where on it. I'll see you soon" I said.

"I'm sending my team to work on the new railway lines. I'll see you soon" Gabriella said.

I put the the walkie talkie onto my belt and looked around at my construction crew. It's annoying when something like this happens. We've been working tirelessly for months doing the railway lines, and then we are asked to move on and work on different railway lines. We are close to finishing as well, moving will just slow us down even more.

"Alright everyone! I got word that we have to move onto the railway lines south from here. We were told to fix it up so we can connect this railway line to the one south. So come on, let's get to it!" I yelled.

All the construction members sighed as they picked up all their gear. We all walked together following a pathway south. It should be about a thirty minute walk. Not too far, but the walk will get exhausting.

It wasn't a very hot day so we were lucky. We were walking past a small suburban area. The houses were all green from all the vegetation growing around it. We walked past a tall house. It was a three story house with an attic. As we walked past it the window in the attic broke and the glass shards fell onto us.

"Cover your eyes!" I yelled.

Everyone put their arms over their eyes. The glass shards landed not injuring anyone. I looked up. I wonder how the window broke.

"Someone come with me. The rest of you stay here" I said.

Two people followed me in through the house. We slowly took out our knives. I looked to one of the men that came with me. I pointed to the right telling him to check the right. I then pointed to the other man and pointed left. We all split up and searched through the house. I slowly made it to the attic. The ladder up to it was down. I started to climb up. As I was climbing up I heard footsteps quickly running across the attic.

I slowed down and slowly climbed up. I peaked my head over and looked around. It was really dark. I could only see the light coming through the broken window.

"If there's anyone in here, I don't want to hurt you. We can help you" I said.

I slowly climbed all the way up and looked around. It was too dark. I reached for my pocket and grabbed a lighter. I pressed it down and the flame came up. I saw a glimpse of a person. But it was to late. The man tackled me to the ground.

The man pushed me down the ladder. As I fell I felt my walkie talkie fall out of my belt and land on the ground. I then fell hard onto my back. I saw the man quickly climb down to get me. As he got down he was about to stomp on my head.

I quickly dodged and rolled to the side. I kicked his leg and he fell over. I quickly stood up and grabbed his arms. I put his arms behind his back and held him down. I saw my people coming upstairs. They saw me and ran over. They helped me keep him down.

"Who are you?!" I asked.

"I'm from Brisbane" he said.

I looked around and saw my walkie talkie on the ground. I walked over to it and picked it up.

"Hello. This is Jonah. We have a problem. Could you please get Gabriella immediately" I said.

Soon enough I heard Gabriella talking on the radio.

"Gabriella here. What do you need?" Gabriella asked.

"We found a man from Brisbane. I am bringing him back to Melbourne" I said.

"How long?" Gabriella asked.

"Around about one hour" I said.

"Stay safe. Look out for more" Gabriella said.

I put the walkie talkie back onto my belt and looked down at the man.

"Take him with us. We will walk back to our horses" I said.

The two people picked him up and walked him downstairs. I followed close behind.

"There could be more! Keep an eye out!" I yelled.

We slowly walked back to our horses. My people helped us put the prisoner up on the horse.

"What do you want us to do?" A man on the construction crew asked.

"Head to Melbourne. There might be more of them out here. On the way tell the other construction crew. I'll see you all soon. Stay safe" I said getting onto the horse.

I quickly rode down the railway lines riding with the prisoner.

"Let me go" the prisoner said.

"I'm not going to do that. So shut up" I said.

I rode faster. I still have a lot of ground to cover. It should take about one hour, but because how fast I'm going I could get there in forty minutes, maybe more.

I rode past the new construction crew coming in. They watched me as I sped past. I followed the railway lines all the way to Melbourne. I finally made it. I quickly rode in with the prisoner from Brisbane still on my horse.

I stopped next to the cell and I saw two guards quickly run over. They grabbed the prisoner and chucked him into a cell. I followed them to the cell. The guards locked the cell door and walked away.

I slowly walked up to the cell bars and looked at him. He didn't look scared.

"Why don't you start of with your name?" I asked.

"I'm not answering any of your questions" He said.

I slowly walked away. Brisbane has been around for a while. On the map that Ana found with all the communities there was Brisbane. After a year we sent a team to Brisbane. We found out that it wasn't a good idea making friends with strangers. They killed one of of ours. Our entire group had their hands up. They didn't mean any harm. But then they attacked us. That's why we stay away from them. We don't want to deal with these people. We don't want to lose more.