Chapter 7

It was the ice-breaker in their attraction, both admitting defeat and surrendering to their desires.

Making out, before they were rudely interrupted by a bored Rex, who was tugging at the leash and barking at them.

Blake groaned, placing his head in the crook of Emma's neck, wishing they were in a more private setting, minus his irritating dog, "I think we better get up, before Rex drags us..." He laughingly joked, moving slightly to untangle the leash from around their legs.

Standing and helping Emma up, bringing her flush against his body, cupping her face, "We're good?" He asked, searching her face for any doubts.

"It depends..." She responded.

"Meaning...?" He asked, tensing slightly.

"Are you single?" She asked seriously, "It should have been asked, before this actually happened."

"I am...Are you?" Blake asked, kicking himself for not thinking of that.

"Yes..." Relieved that she wasn't the other woman again, even though at the time, she didn't know that she was, "I guess we need to start at the beginning and get to know each other or is this a onetime thing?"

"No...! I mean, I don't yet know what this is between us, all I can say is that I'm attracted to you and I want to see where this goes." Blake exclaimed, "Let's just take it a step at a time."

Emma looked out towards the ocean, wondering if she could commit, she had been hurt badly in the past, could she go through it again if she fell hard for Blake and he lost interest down the line, would she be able to pick herself up...

"Listen, I know it's no guarantee...but I promise to be honest with you" Blake spoke, getting the feeling that Emma was backing off, "There is no perfect relationship, unless both parties commit in making it work."

"Who hurt you?" She blurted out randomly, the thought just popping into her head.

Not only was Emma sassy and sexy as hell, but she was observant, Blake had to give that to her, "I was married, she used me to further her social standing in society, when things didn't go her way, she found a better prospect...leaving a dust cloud in her rush to higher earnings." Blake replied, he might as well tell her the truth, "And you...? Something tells me that you have been hurt."

"Promise you won't judge, until you hear the full story...?" She asked quietly, hating having to expose herself again.

"Let's continue walking and I promise to listen, giving you a chance to explain." Blake promised, getting the feeling that he wasn't going to like what she said.

Happy when she complied, taking her hand, while with his other he took Rex's leash, waiting for Emma to start talking, giving her the space and time she needed.

And she did, after a few moments, looking ahead of her, slightly tense. She spoke about meeting a guy in college, falling head over heels, he was slightly older, but that didn't matter, they made plans, she finished her degree, moved into a apartment, he stayed with her, he traveled a lot around the country on business, often being away for a few days. She didn't complain, they were in love, then one day, there was a knock on the door, it was a woman...She was the wife.

Emma took a deep breath, "I was the mistress..." She whispered.

Blake stopped walking, turning towards Emma, cupping her face, seeing a tear coming down, brushing it lightly away. He had heard stories about Emma's type of situation, "You didn't know..."

Emma looked up to Blake, "I should have..."

"Did you continue the relationship after finding out he was married?" Blake argued, trying to get his point across.

"No..!"

"Then you did nothing wrong." He stated firmly.

"But..." She tried to say more, but Blake was having none of it. Choosing to kiss her, shutting her up.

"We both been hurt by someone in our past, we can either choose to live in the past or learn from it. We are both wary in getting in a serious relationship, that I get..." Blake spoke, "So...let's just go with the flow, no promises that it will be perfect." Slyly grinning at a thought, "Besides...I actually enjoy getting a rise out of you."

Emma narrowed her eyes at Blake, glaring when his grin widened further at her stare.

Blake couldn't help himself, he laughed. Picking up Emma in a fireman's hold, slapping her butt.