Chapter 11

Michael's POV

"Set up a court date." I demand at the front desk. The lady looks up at me, concerned, and a bit frightened. She quickly nods and pushes her glasses up her nose. She clicks the mouse to her computer a couple times, then types on her keyboard before looking up at me. 

"You will have to give your lawyer a call, sir." She says monotonously. I slam my hands on the top of the desk, making her flinch.

"Okay." I blurt, turning around. I quickly walk back to my daughter's room and nearly slam the door behind me. My family looks up, each having concerned expressions on their faces, and I ignore them. I walk straight to my youngest daughter and kiss her forehead.

"I'm doing everything I can, baby, I promise." I whisper, then sit at the chair next to her bed. I can feel everyone's eyes on me, but I pay no mind. They all know what is going on, so I do not need to explain myself.

"Michael, if you want to spend the night with the kids tonight, I think they would like that." Mother suggests, causing me to freeze. After a few moments, I shake my head and look at her. 

"No, they would not want that." I respond calmly. Her face falls, and I breathe in and out quietly. "Oh, why do you say that, Michael?" Mother asks. I shake my head again and force myself to look at her. "They just don't, mother." I softly add, though I am not sure she heard me clearly. "Well, where are you going to stay then?" Mother asks and I shrug. "Here, I guess."

"Okay, well, we're going to go home, then." I look up just as my mother and father stand. I nod and look over at Taryn.

"You should go home, too." I disclose softly and quietly, her face falling. "Why?" She asks worriedly. "You need to get some sleep." She nods in agreement and stands, but instead of walking to and out the door with my parents, she walks over to Natalie and I. She places her arm around my shoulder and kisses my cheek. She then walks away and out the door, closing it behind her without looking back.

When everyone is finally gone, I look at my daughter. Her scratches and bruises are slowly healing and she looks better and better every day. I place my hand on top of hers and caress her gentle skin with my thumb. I breathe out quietly and look down at the floor, then back at her. 

"I can't do it, baby girl." I say, tears immediately spilling from my eyes at the words. I sniffle and collect myself as best as I can before speaking again.

"I can't risk it. I love you, believe me, I love you so much, but I just can't—I can't do it." I sob and slowly lower my head. "I can only hope that you forgive me. And I can only hope that we will see each other again soon enough." 

I wish more than anything that she could answer me. The worst thing about Natalie being in a coma, is that she does not know that I am here, nor will she ever know. 

"The date is November 3rd." I remind her softly, trying to hold back more tears. "I really do not want to do this, but I have to." The last few words are rushed, and I begin crying once again. 

"It wasn't my fault—it's not my fault." I plead. I wish she knew that this is not my decision, nor would it ever be my decision. If I were Taryn, the thought of taking my daughter off of life support would never have crossed my mind in the first place.

As I hold my daughter's hand, I begin to think about what things are going to be like when this is all over. Everything will go back to the way they used to be, and everyone will return to their lives. I will go back to Spain and no one will acknowledge me anymore. The fighting will stop and the hurt will go on. She will be missed ever so dearly, yes, but things will go back to normal.

And when she dies, things will be peaceful between all of us once again. And I can only hope that one day my sons will forgive me and that they will still love me; for I will never stop them.

Whilst holding Natalie's tiny hand, I say a long prayer. I ask God to take care of her and to protect her. I ask Him to help my family and I cope, and I pray that He makes everything okay in the end. I thank Him for the time that he has given me with her.

After the prayer, I kiss my daughter's forehead and walk to the opposite side of the room. I sit in one of the blue chairs, and after a few minutes, cry myself to sleep.