Chapter 28

Taryn's POV

"Okay," I sniffle. "thank you." I hang up the phone, then turn to everyone in the living room of the Jackson household. 

"She's ready for us any time today." I announce and everyone smiles.

"We can go after we eat." Katherine suggest and eveyone agrees. The seven of us move to the kitchen for a quick lunch, then pile into the two cars parked in the drive way and head back over to the hospital. Natalie comes home in two days.

"I'm gonna go spend some time with dad." Paris says to Katherine and Joseph once we arrive at the hospital. They nod and she stands from her seat in the waiting room, and looks at me with just short of a smile. She walks up to me and gives me a tight hug - one that nearly brings tears to my eyes. I hug her back, of course, and send her on her way. When she leaves, everyone else stands. They copy her actions, then, one by one, exit the room. 

"I'll see you soon, baby." I say quietly, caressing my daughter's hair. I had told her that I was leaving to pick some stuff up for her at the store. But what I am actually doing, is grabbing some things for her "Welcome Home" party that she knows nothing about.

...

"Hi, mom." Blanket says as I walk through the waiting room.

"Hey, baby." I say quietly walking over to him and squatting in front of him like I had the first day Natalie was brought to the hospital. I place my hand on the top of his head and caress his long, black hair.

"What are you doing out here, don't you want to go spend some time with Nat?" I ask and he shrugs, looking away from me, then back again.

"I was waiting until they were all done so I could go spend some quality time with her one on one."

I nod and stand, as the position I am in is hurting my fragile knees.

"I'm gonna go pick some stuff up from the store," I say and my son nods. "do you want to come with me?"

Blanket shakes his head and looks around the room. I nod and place a kiss on the top of his head before turning around and walking toward the exit.

"Mom, wait." Blanket calls. I stop walking and turn around to find him standing and making his way toward me. I smile when he comes closer and says "Actually, yeah." I drape my arm around his shoulders, his around my waist, and we walk together out of the hospital, through the parking lot, and to my car.

"You're gonna start driving soon, aren't you?" I ask as soon as Blanket closes his door and I shove the key into the ignition giving it a hard twist, bringing the engine to life. My only son nods, his eyes widening, then he smiles.

"Yep." 

"Have you been practicing lately?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Prince took me a couple times, but that was a long time ago. I don't think I'm very good." 

"It takes practice, baby. The more you do it the better you get."

"I guess so."

Blanket's POV

It has been a while since I have spent quality time with my mom. I know her and I weren't very close when I was younger, but now that we actually have the chance to be together more, I know she is going to do everything she can to keep me in her sight.

I feel the same way.

Usually, I would pass up an offer like this; I don't really like going out in public very much because people are always trying to get a photo of or with me, and/ or an autograph. I guess that's what you get for being the King of Pop's son.

"I hope there's not a lot of people there." I say under my breath and mom turns her head toward me, her face slightly falling in confusion. I sigh and stare out of the windshield at the car in front of us. It's small and blue with two kids in the back that look about the same age.

"It's a grocery store, honey, of course there's gonna be people there." mom says and I shrug.

"I'm just getting really sick of all the pictures and signings and everything. I mean, I understand it, but it gets really annoying." I admit, leaning forward and quickly turning to my mom. "My handwriting isn't even that good." 

My mom reaches her hand out and places it on my knee, rubbing it before replacing it back to the steering wheel. She smiles and shakes her head before speaking.

"I don't think they care about that, sweetie." she says. I sigh and knock on the window with my index finger knuckle. 

"They care that I'm some famous dude's kid." I say as apathetic as possible.

"They care that you're Michael Jackson's son." mom corrects me and I turn my head so that she doesn't see me roll my eyes.

"Same thing, whatever." I say under my breath and my mom smiles a half smile.

"I guess I can't really blame him though. His life was a lot worse than mine will ever be." I say and my mom turns to me with a mischievous smile across her face.

"That can be arranged." she says and I playfully roll my eyes and smile. We laugh together, then she turns on the radio and the rest of the car ride to the store is silent from voices and filled with music.