Chapter 24

Natalie's POV

I had been hoping all day my family would come see me today. Seeing Blanket walk through the door made my heart sink into my stomach. In a happy way, of course.

All morning I was being talked to by the nurses and doctors here, being asked questions to test my memory and pain rating and other things that drove me crazy. They asked me if I was hungry or tired, but I told them nothing. I just kept shaking my head in hopes that they would just leave me alone. 

Being in a coma for as long as I had been, a month and a half, they told me, is weird when you actually wake up. It feels like waking up from a terrifyingly long nap. A deep sleep that even the loudest of sounds could wake you.

...

It takes about five minutes, or maybe longer, but when that time finally comes, Blanket and I are calm enough to have an actual conversation that is not interrupted by sobbing or trouble breathing.

We pull away from our never ending embrace and sit across from each other silently for a few moments just examining each other.

Blanket has not changed much since I had seen him last except that his hair has gotten longer, and has recently been trimmed from what I can see. He still looks like my same old twin brother.

"Are you-" I begin, but Blanket shakes his head.

"I told them that I should come in and see you first." Blanket says, referring to the rest of our family, and I nod. "I figured I'd be the first person you'd want to see, you know. Like if I were in your situation, you're the first person that would want to see." he adds and I smile.

"Thank you." I say and he smiles and nods genuinely. "You were right." I mention. He smiles, looking away from me for a few seconds, then glancing back.

"Who's all here?" I ask.

"Everyone. Like, everyone. All of dad's siblings. The whole lobby is packed. They're only letting four people in at once."

My eyes widen and Blanket nods and mumbles "Yeah" in a whispering tone.

"Why?" I ask and Blanket tucks his lips underneath his teeth, sucking in a deep breath, then releasing it slowly.

"They 'don't want you to get overwhelmed'." Blanket mocks. I roll my eyes and shake my head, bringing my palm up to my forehead.

"If anything, I actually want all of you in here at once." I admit and my twin brother nods in agreement.

"Where are they all, anyway?" I ask and Blanket chews his lower lip for a second before answering.

"Waiting room. You want me to call them in?" he asks and I nod, then he nods as well.

"Don't leave, though. Stay in here with them." I say and he nods once again. He moves to stand from my bed, and I quickly stick my hand out to stop him. He freezes and looks at me blankly.

"Is Mich-" I stop myself mid-sentence, remembering all of the times that Paris had corrected me when I called our father by "Michael". 

"Is - is dad here?" I ask slowly and quietly, and he smiles and nods. I smile as well, my heart sinking and tears escaping the corners of my eyes and sliding down my cheeks at my excitement and happiness. 

Blanket leans forward and gently wipes my tears away with his thumb. He smiles, sighs, then leans back once again.

"Don't cry. He's really excited to see you." Blanket assures me and I nod. He stands to his feet and slowly walks toward the door. Without hesitation, he exits my room and my heart sinks from nervousness and excitement.

I get to meet Michael Jackson.

I finally get to meet my real, birth... biological father.