𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘.

(Please keep in mind I wrote this when I was about 12-13 years old. It will not be good! Please do not expect something amazing out of this and proceed with that knowledge.)

It's been a week since your mother decided that the two of you were going to move to Derry, Maine.

Staring out of your car window, you admire the vast coast that the town has to offer. It really was a nice place.

Well, that's what you thought until you reached the houses.

Somewhat worn down and torn up homes cover the streets - and you're hit with an uneasy feeling. You never really wanted to move, but you hoped for the best.
This was probably worst case scenario.

"Y/n," your mother muttered, causing you to turn and look at her.
"What do you think? Isn't this place great?"
It's terrible.
"Yeah, it is pretty cool." You reply, faking a warm smile.
"That's great, honey."
And, once again, the car was enveloped in silence.

That silence always seemed to be the reason you and your mother weren't as close as you used to be.

You just didn't talk to her.

It's not that you didn't want to talk, it's just..
..you didn't know what to talk about.

Normally, you'd be able to tell your mother anything. After all, it was just the two of you. You had always been the one to help her when she was stressed, and you knew that she needed you just as much as you needed her. She was a broken woman - having to cope with her husband's loss, and on top of that, take care of you and your house. Being unemployed, she knew that it would only be a matter of time before the two of you would be evicted and have nowhere to go.

That's where the Al came in.

Alvin Marsh, your distant uncle on your father's side, reached out to your mother and offered a place to stay. Despite your mother barely knowing him, she appreciated the offer and accepted it gladly, much to your dismay.

You didn't want to move - and even though you knew you'd have to, you wanted to move somewhere at least in your home town - not somewhere really far away like Derry.

But you didn't have a choice.
This was, most likely, your only option.

And you'd have to deal with it for the rest of your teenage years.

Something outside the car window caught your eye.
The neighbourhood was no longer a vast majority of worn down houses, but now a somewhat cramped town littered with stores and apartment complexes. As the car began to slow, your eyes fixated on a large building that seemed to be, most evidently, your new home.
"We're here, Y/n." Your mother said.
You waited a moment before answering.
"..Okay."
You opened the car door and sighed as you exited it, your gaze still on the large complex.
"We're on floor 3, okay? Remember that."
You nod and begin to walk with your mother.
You were at the back of the building, as there was a small alleyway-carpark thingy that you had parked in. As your mother lead you up to a series of stairs, you sighed once again.
Suddenly, she stops.
"I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted, Y/n."
You stare up at her with a confused yet infatuated look, knowing fully that she wasn't even looking in your direction.
"..But we have no choice. This is our only chance to live normally again."

"And even if it's not normal," She continues, keeping her tone firm but soft. "..It's better than living on the streets in our hometown."

Your expression was no longer devoid of emotion, like it was just a moment ago.
You knew very well that this was the only chance you had.
Yet, you failed to accept it.
You wanted to.
You wanted to move past your father's death.
But you knew deep down you were still overcome by grief.
Like a hole in your heart - one that couldn't be filled.