𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐓 𝐌𝐘 𝐅𝐀𝐔𝐋𝐓?

You sat down on the bed and Beverly stared back at you. You knew that the situation probably wasn't going to go well, but you didn't expect this. Was it good that she had forgotten? ..No. She had forgotten about how she had made you feel.. but then again, she was in a much better mood now. If you broke the atmosphere by speaking your feelings, she'd probably get sad and angry again. God, why is this making me feel so guilty? I want to tell mother about this. But I feel bad. I just want her to be happy, I--

"Cuz. Hey."

You felt a soft touch on your shoulder and your eyes scanned the pretty ginger with a concerned look on her face. You must've dazed off, you thought. Was it good to have Beverly here right now? Would it have been better if you were alone?

"(Y/n)."

Your eyes darted up at her again and you stuttered, blinking a little.

"S--Sorry. I'm just.."

"I know. Don't be sorry." Beverly nodded reassuringly and sat next to you on your bed, fiddling with her thumbs.

You felt bad for Beverly. She had to deal with this, and it wasn't even her fault. She has to deal with you right now--

"It's not your fault."

Your train of thought stopped for a moment and your mind stopped wandering with possibilities. It was funny--you were rambling to yourself, and you weren't even talking.

"I know it feels really bad, and I would hate to be in your shoes right now. But it's not your fault, okay? It's hers. She needs to fix this herself."

You wanted to believe Beverly. You took in her words with a grain of salt, trying to justify your mother's actions with any reason possible.

"Look, I don't want you to be home with her right now. You really don't deserve to be sad this early in the morning."

Beverly rubbed circles on your back as you gently nodded. Her presence was so comforting. You knew that you had to listen to her, even if you felt bad. She was probably right, anyways.

"Bill invited me to go hiking with the losers in the forest. Stan doesn't know about it yet, but I'm sure Bill contacted him by now. They're best friends, after all."

Bill..

Bill was someone you barely had the chance to talk to. You didn't know him well, and you didn't speak much at the quarry. It was only the occasional 'excuse me' while you were passing by and the quiet smiling that you did when you were nervous. It wasn't anything other than that.

You had gotten the chance to get to know Richie a lot better, which made you happy - because you liked him a lot. He was nice to you, and super funny, too. Richie's best friend seemed to be Stan, but you saw him stick around another kid while at the quarry. Was his name Eddie?

"I really want you to come on the hike with me. I know it seems like you have to stay for your mother's sake, but I want you to get out of the house. I know it'll be fun."

Hike? Beverly really wants me to go on a hike with her... she doesn't feel bad having to deal with me?

"Cuz. Please."

Beverly leaned over a bit so you could see her face. Your eyes widened the slightest bit as she caught your eye.

A hike.. with Beverly. With the others. Richie and Stan would be there.

Would it really be worth going?

"..Umm.. Okay. I'll.. go. Are you sure Bill is okay with it?" You asked, softly. Bev nodded.

"Of course. He likes you. I'll go and tell him that you're coming, can you choose out an outfit to wear?"

Your mouth hung agape a little. You didn't know if you really were up for this. Was it a good idea?

"The phone's in the kitchen, right?"

"Uhh--yeah."

Bev gave you a thumbs up and left the room, locking it as she left, leaving you space. You sat there for a little while, thinking the same things over and over. You couldn't even tell if you really wanted to go anyways.

Eventually, you walked over to your closet and sighed. Opening the doors, you looked for a nice outfit to wear in those circumstances, as you were going out to the woods.

Red flannel.

Black short sleeve t-shirt.

Blue long shorts.

Good enough..

You got the clothes ready and put them on, exiting the room to see Beverly in the kitchen, the phone up to her ear.

"Mhm. (Y/n). She can come? Great, okay. I'll see you there. Yeah. Bye!"

As you walked into the room, Beverly put the phone down and gave you a big smile. Your mother had since gone to her room to do who knows what.

"Nice clothes. I just have to get ready now, but I called Stan to come pick you up."

"Pick me up..? I thought we were going together."

You felt a little nervous about it now. Stan wasn't the reason, it was just.. not what you expected.

"You two need to stop at Bill's to go get him, Richie's gonna take me and meet up with you guys at his place."

Ah, so.. we're going to Bill's home. Okay..

"So.. Stan's on his way here?"

Shit.. I told him I was waiting for ma to get home. Will he think I was lying now?

"Yeah, I called him before I called Bill. Okay I need to get ready, I'll see you there?"

Bev gave you another thumbs up and you nodded, inhaling as she left the room. You knew what had to happen next and you walked to your mother's room, standing outside the door. You raised your hand to knock, but..

For some reason, you didn't.

You didn't knock.

Your hand fell to your side and your legs were planted in the direction of the door.

She needed to fix this herself.

Beverly said it.

This isn't your fault.

Swiftly, you speed-walked to your door and exited it a moment later, closing it quietly and slowly. Guilt rised within you as you walked down the halls. You walked faster to get rid of it.

Stan will be here soon.

He makes me feel better.