𝐅𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐓𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑.

Stanley woke up just before you did.

He let his eyes flutter open, and bit by bit he took in his environment.

This is..
This is Y/n's house.
I..I slept at Y/n's house?
Wait, what happened last night?—

As a sudden pang of realisation hit him, Stan's posture stiffened.

Oh.

His eyes looked down to you as your sleeping arms clung desperately to his shirt and your body cuddled up against his.

oH.
OH.
hoLy--
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH?!

You were asleep, so he had to be quiet.
But he was very evidently freaking out.

Y/n is waY tOo cLose tO mE waiT whAT?!?!

Stan's mind was clouded with a mixture of anxiety and happiness.

Y/n—
She—
AHAHH???!!

Stanley sat up a little, trying to control his sudden shakiness. He couldn't deny the fact that he was thoroughly enjoying being so close to you, but at the same time he was so overwhelmed. He had a tendency to overthink things, so something like this made his mind buzz.

He heard a little grumbling noise, and looked down at you once more. You were reaching for something - but you were clearly still asleep. He kept still as you shuffled up against him again and made yourself comfortable, placing your head on his shoulder and putting your arms around him like an embrace.

EVEN WHEN SHE'S ASLEEP SHE'S ACTUALLY SO CUTE I THINK I'M GONNA DIE?!?!?
SHE LITERALLY JUST HUGGED ME IN HER SLEEP, THIS IS AMAZING OH MY GOD AHAAAKEKDKJEJWKEISHSBEJEKWOWODIJSJSJWKKWKEJE?!!?!

The now red-faced boy sat silently as he felt your soft breaths on his neck.
This was making him unbelievably flustered. Being close to you already made him blush, so why did you have to do this to him?
It was like he couldn't even move. He felt so overwhelmed by what was happening, but..at the same time..

..he felt..comfortable?

..I don't know. There was something about this whole thing that made him super giddy and tired, like he could sleep like this forever. Despite the fact that he was basically trembling, because, well—he's Stan—he couldn't help but feel like he didn't want this moment to end.

So, with a shaky breath, he slowly but surely moved his arm towards your face, and tucked a piece of hair behind your ear. He admired your natural beauty for what seemed like minutes. It was just so entrancing. How could someone be so..unique? 

It was a mystery to him.

You were different to anyone he had ever tried to pursue before. Now, that isn't really saying much - as he had never had the guts to actually 'pursue' any of his past crushes - but he knew that deep down he liked you a lot. Maybe it was because you were the first girl who had shown interest in him. ..Hmm, no.. there were definitely a few girls who had liked him before. Maybe.. it was because you were gorgeous? ..No. Beverly's pretty, and Stan didn't fall for her. Your looks were just a bonus to him. They weren't the pure reason why he liked you.

He sat there, admiring your peaceful state, attempting to find a reason as to why he had suddenly decided to take so much interest in you out of all people.

..and then, just as he was pondering..

It hit him.

Back at the quarry, when the two of you were too scared to jump, he felt a little spark in him that he hadn't felt before. It was like a click - something that put two and two together. A realisation. An epiphany.

He remembered the look on your face just as you peered over the edge.

Despite Beverly's encouraging words, he could tell you didn't want to jump into that quarry at all. It may have been because of the water, or the height of the cliff--but that didn't matter. You were scared. You were scared to do something that the others had done effortlessly. 

You were fearful.

Like him.

"..hmm..?"

His thoughts were cut short when Stan saw your eyes start to open.

SHIT.
PRETEND YOU'RE ASLEEP.

In less than a moment Stan's eyes close and his arm drops, leaving you to wonder what was happening. Rubbing your eyes, you try to regain sense of where you were. When you finally opened them, your face turned all shades of pink in a matter of seconds.

"Wait—"
Mumbling, you sit upwards with a sense of tense speed, and look at the position the two of you were in.

"Oh my god, this is so embarrassing.." Whispering, you pinch the rim of your nose and sigh. "I'm so glad you're not awake.."

Were you cuddling Stan? Like, literally holding onto his shirt and clinging onto him?!

How did this even..happen..?

You try to jog your memory, and it hits you like a truck.
..Oh.
You and Stan fell asleep after you spoke about your father.

You must've fallen asleep straight away, because you had no memory of what happened after things quieted down last night. When everything was finally silent, and it was just you, him, and the rain, you fell asleep. And, since the both of you had probably fallen asleep at similar times, your sleeping bodies stayed together, embracing and holding onto the other's sleeves like their lives depended on it.

You placed a hand on your cheek.

It felt..hot.

Like your whole face had gone red.

Like if anyone saw you, they'd mistake you for a tomato.

Jeez..

Stan really did make you blush like there was no tomorrow.

There was something about his quiet and intuitive nature that intrigued you. You couldn't tell what exactly that something was, but you knew that it was definitely something important. You tried putting your finger on it, but each time your mind would come up blank and you'd be at square one again. It had something to do with the way he would stare deeply into your eyes, searching for something that might not be there - and after staring for just a bit too long he'd look away, letting his eyes dart back towards you every now and then. You found his shy behaviour to be mysterious at first - making you want to know more about the timid boy. Bu after the birdwatching and the fight with Bowers yesterday..

..You began to realise that Stan was more complex and deep than you thought.

The way he punched at Bowers with so much force scared you. It was like he had been waiting for this moment - building up all of his strength and fury - just to hurt Henry as much as he could. The way his fists continued to pound into the bully's bruised face was unnatural - like there was.. an influence.. giving him strength and making it even worse for Bowers, who was on the receiving end of the punches. 

..It didn't seem like..him.

..It seemed a bit more like..

..There was something else giving him more anger than he needed.

Something else making him furious.

Something else making him beat Bowers so badly that the bruises would absolutely not fade for weeks.

..I don't know..

..He was such a fearful guy around you.

You were both rather fearful. That's what connected you at the quarry.

You were fearful together.

..What made him change?