𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐘

"C'mon, Cuz! This way!"

Beverly began to swim further into the lake until eventually she found herself near the middle, floating by Eddie and Bill - who were off having their own little conversation until Bev had rolled up. They all greeted each other silently with a few nods as both you and Stanley made their way over to the trio. Richie wasn't really too far behind, but he caught up with the losers a little bit after Stan and you had made it. Smirking as he floated over, he caught everyone's attention with a simple sentence.

"Who wants to play chicken?"

-

The game was just about to begin and everyone had gotten into their positions. Eddie was on Bill's shoulders, Bev was on Richie's and you were the referee. Despite the constant nagging, Stanley decided to chicken out for this one game and floated next to you as he watched everyone stabilise themselves.

Raising your hand as a signal, you yell "Go!" and the game began. Richie started off with the upper hand - having enough power to grip Eddie's meek shoulders and nearly push him off of Bill. However, even though Eddie seemed quite small compared to Richie, he was also feisty - so using all of his might, he pushed forwards, nearly losing balance in the process. Beverly stumbled backwards, nearly losing her balance but saving herself just in the nick of time. Richie, however, was having a harder time stabilising himself and in turn fell back, causing both himself and Beverly to be dunked into the water.

Eddie and Bill both cheered loudly as you let out a soft giggle, watching intently as Beverly and Richie rose from the water. You watched Richie's scrunched up face as he tried to call Eddie a cheater, but everyone, including Beverly, knew he was just being a sore loser. So, despite Richie's nagging, they called it a match and the first round went to Eddie and Bill.

You were about to call everyone back to start another round when you felt a pair of eyes watching you. You knew very well that it couldn't be anybody but the boy floating closely behind you--Stan, Stan the man, the tall boy who agreed to hold your hand as you jumped into the quarry. And even though it felt a little intimidating, you knew he meant no harm. So, you turned around, catching his meek glare as he tried to look away, and you smiled. He looked up for a moment, saw your grin, and looked down at the water again, seemingly embarrassed that he had been caught staring. It was pretty funny seeing him so flustered.

"Thanks for..helping me jump in just before." You say, trying to maintain eye contact with the shy boy. He finally looks up at you and gulps.

"N-no problem..I, uhh.."

He moved a little closer so you could hear him better.

"..I probably wouldn't have been able to jump in if you didn't hold my hand, to be honest.."

Despite feeling very happy to hear such a nice comment, your eyebrow rose and you tilted your head.

"But..haven't you jumped in here before?"

"Only like, twice..with the help of Bill, though. He normally has to either convince me or push me in. Every other time I've just decided to sit it out and walk down to a safer spot to jump."

You laugh lightly at his remark and he looks down at your bubbly expression. Every time you smiled it felt like his world was getting a little brighter. It was a good feeling..one that he had never felt before, but one that he was sure he'd treasure each time he felt it. It was rather cliché, but the boy couldn't help but feel like it was meant to be.

Stan knew that by now he had probably fallen for this girl. Whoever she is.

But in order to be sure, he'd have to get closer to her first. Make sure his fears won't become reality. Make sure he won't be hurt.