𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐌𝐄

You looked up at the voice and your eyes were caught in the blinding light that was the sun. Richie looked down at you with a surprisingly non-joking frown. It seemed that somehow Richie was capable of not cracking a joke in the wrong situation--

"What the dick happened to you? You look worse than Eddie's mom on her period."

You didn't really find it funny. 

Richie noticed, and his tiny little smirk faded. He sighed, probably regretting the 'joke', and put his hand out to help you up. It took you a moment, but you took his hand and eventually you were back on your feet.

But when you stood up, the image came back to you and you froze.

The clown was in your home. It was in the photos, and then it was in your home. It was just as lifelike and probably even more terrifying than it was in the photo.

You felt yourself tense up again, and you looked at Richie.

"Can we go inside?" You said, trying to hide your struggle - but not doing a very good job at it. Richie looked from side to side, seemingly suspicious of your sudden cautious attitude, and then turned back to you.

"Uhh..okay." He said, and the two of you entered the diner. You went up to the front desk to ask for a table, but you froze again, thinking of the clown. You were suddenly caught up in your own thoughts, and Richie gave you a look - as if he were saying 'What's wrong?'

You didn't respond, and he took initiative.

-

In less than a minute the two of you were sitting down at a table, staring at each other. Richie was looking into your eyes - probably trying to see why you were so stressed - but couldn't really find a reason.

"..Can you just tell me what happened?" He said, finally. He saw your eyes look up at him and stare into his, and he felt as if time had stopped. The look in your eyes seemed..unnatural, and he realised then and there that you were truly disturbed.

"I don't think you'd believe me." You replied, and Richie exhaled through his nose.

"You look like you've shit yourself, so I'm pretty sure you're going to tell the truth or you're just a really good actor."

The way Rich said that sentence was much more serious than his other remarks, and it gave you the feeling that he meant what he said. He'd believe what you told him, even if it was...completely insane.

"..Well, I was looking through a photo album.."

Little bits of the scene flashed through your head as you recalled the event. Each picture was of a different time, with different people, at different places.

"..And I saw ones of my dad, and.."

You began to stall. You were trying to explain everything other than the clown. You were going to mention Beverly's mother, but the thought of your father made you stop - and you stared blankly at Richie. You felt your eyes well up, and knew that you might not even be able to tell the story without crying.

"Woah, woah--(Y/n), why are you crying? Is there something wrong with your dad? Is he sick, or..?"

He doesn't know.

You felt your stomach knot as you tried to make up something quick and fast.

"Yeah, he's..dad's okay. Sorry, I'll keep going." You wiped your tears away and sniffled, trying to remember the next part of the story.

"Anyways, I kept flipping through the album, and when I hit the end, I..."

You paused, but kept going when you saw the anticipation on Richie's face.

"..I saw a clown. And I didn't know who the clown was, or why it was in a photo with my mother, but when I closed the book, it--"

Suddenly, your eyes began to leak with tears - and you couldn't even speak. You were so, so scared, and you didn't know how it happened or why it scared you so much. All you could do was watch the tears fall down your face as Richie's face was flooded with realisation.

"Was it there with you?" He said, and you nodded skittishly. Just as you nodded he sat up in his seat and looked down at your face with an inch of confusion but otherwise understanding. He looked around a bit, trying to think of something to say - maybe make a joke, but he couldn't. You were so serious, and that meant he had to be too. The last thing he wanted was you to get angry at him for turning this into a funny little joke. The only thing he decided to do was reach across the table and wipe your tears, smiling a little as he did so. He didn't want to see you cry, but he knew if he had seen that too he would've been as scared as you. So, he wiped your tears, and you looked at him with your full attention.

"It's not here anymore..It'll..It'll be okay."

Richie was never good with emotions. Despite being a little emotional himself, he was never 'good' at comforting people or dealing with it. He'd always end up messing it up somehow, maybe with a joke or with a stupid remark. Either way, he wasn't the best at it - so having to watch you cry like this sent him a little berserk. he wanted to be able to help you like his friends could help him - but he felt like anything he'd say would be taken the wrong way. The best thing he could to was try to get your mind off it, because if he tried helping you any more he would probably start joking about things. After all, he was the trashmouth for a reason.

You looked up at Richie and nodded, taking in his words. It's not here anymore. You're far away, and it's not going to get you. It didn't chase you. You're okay. Richie is here with you.

"You're right." You said to Richie and sniffled once more, slowly starting to feel a little better. Stan would probably be better at comforting you in this situation, but you were glad Richie was here to help you. He wasn't your 'best' friend like Beverly, but you felt like you could have a genuine conversation with him. And now, with the fact that he didn't laugh at you when you told him this completely insane story, it made you feel like you could trust him a little more. 

Everything was silent for a bit, until you smiled a little and spoke up.

"..Can we order some food?"