Prologue

When I was younger, I lurked with darkness, and flirted with death constantly. All I knew was that I was supposed to serve. I didn’t know who, didn’t know why. But that wasn’t the point. The point was, if my master or mistress called, I obeyed without question. And I did this for hundreds of years. Who knows, it could’ve been thousands. But one day…I couldn’t do it anymore. I had been asked something to big, to strange, so wrong, that even I couldn’t do it.

My eyes were shut, my body so still that I looked to be a statue. But I wasn’t. I was ordered to do this. My master disliked me moving between orders. Said I got in the way. So I obeyed, just like always. And, just like always, I was awaiting another command.

 “You’ve been a good servant.” My master’s cold voice sent chills up my spine.

 “Yes, master.” Sharp pricks attacked my arms. I let my eyes wander down. Darkness, cold and tangible, was wrapping around me.

“And now…I believe you have proved yourself. Are you ready for the challenge, my servant?” His voice turned sharp and vicious on the word ‘ready’.

“Yes, master.” I didn’t like it when he spoke this way. It usually meant that something terrible was going to be asked of me. I fear, just like my mortal father. As I am always being reminded, I did not inherit my mother’s demonic strength. And I fear…so much. And my master knows I do.

“What I want you to do…is invade Heaven.” I swear my heart stopped beating. Heaven, to me, seemed an impenetrable fortress. Somewhere a creature like me could never dwell. And now my master was asking to go there.

“Master, may I ask a question?” Master nodded. “Why must I invade Heaven?” I could see my master’s eyes flash bloody red, the souls he had taken peeking out. I hated it when that happened. Sometimes, they looked so mournful.

“Because, my servant, I want you to take down my old enemies who hide there.” I shuddered.

“Which enemies, master?” A cold laugh echoed through the room, bouncing off the walls and making my ears ring.        

“Who do you think? None other than God and the Arch Angel Michael themselves!” God…no one can take him down. No one, or else it would have long since been done.

“But, Master, the humans depend upon them! They need them to stay alive!” His knife sharp chuckles immediately disappeared. 

“B-but…”

“Silence, slave of the demons, slave of the realm of death! You will obey, and if you cease to, I promise you more pain than you can imagine!”My master’s hands swung forward, and the chain he kept wrapped around his arm sliced across my back, making my body collapse. He gave a cold laugh. “Now…slave. Do my bidding or face my wrath. Take your pick.” With that, he strode off, disappearing down the dark hallway.

And I did make a choice, I did pick. I just didn’t pick the one he expected.

I walked out of the world of death, tricking my master’s guards into thinking I was doing what I had been told, just like always. Instead, I went to the Gates. I begged God to let me speak before the Council of the Angels, whose leader was the Arch Angel Michael.  

“WHY DO YOU WISH FOR ANOTHER CHANCE, SLAVE OF DEATH?” His voice was thunderous and powerful, but unlike my master’s, his held a hint of compassion and gentleness.

“Because…I decided that I like humans to well. Maybe it’s not that, maybe it’s just that I am one. Or at least partly.” I was terrified he would send me back. Back to my master and the darkness.

AHH…YOU FEEL FOR THEM, DO YOU NOT? YOU FEEL SYMPATHY FOR THEM. WHY SHOULD I LET YOU MEET BEFORE THE COUNCIL, HALF-BLOOD?” He smiled slightly. “IF YOU GIVE ME A PROPER ANSWER, THEN MEET THEM YOU SHALL.” I shuddered. Please, let me speak the truth and let it be enough.

“I don’t want to be a slave of darkness. I want to be a servant of light.” 

“WHAT IS YOUR NAME?” I couldn’t tell what his decision was.

“Rafael.”

“RAFAEL, IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO BE JUDGED BEFORE THE COUNCIL OF THE ANGELS.” I was led away from God after that, led to a huge room, with floors of marble. In it, sat God’s top Angels. Including Arch Angel Michael, who sat at the high table.

“Rafael, son of demon and human, you have done many terrible things.” Said Michael, whose voice was like steel.

“Yes.”

“So how can we allow you to be here? Where shall we place you in our ranks?” I could feel ice wrapping around my heart, fear building in my stomach.

“We could place you as a soldier…? But no, that does not fit you. To soft.” Soft? “Aria, what have you to say on the matter?” A beautiful red-headed woman looked down at me, smiling coldly. Her long nails tapped against the stone table.

“How about a Guardian?” Her voice was odd, cold with a hint of amusement.

“A Guardian? You wish to place him as a protector of mankind, when all he has done is attempt to destroy their race? How…interesting, Aria.” He was smiling now.

“Rafael, do you know what it takes to be a Guardian?” I shook my head. “It takes a lot of skill, a lot of self-control, and much patience. Things I think you lack.” I opened my mouth automatically to protest. I have many skills. “No, half-demon, I do not doubt your skill. I doubt your self-control. But…maybe that is why you should be one. It will teach you. And it will undoubtedly be punishment for your massive amounts of wrong doing.” He glanced at all the Angels that surrounded me. “Yes.”

And so…my fate was chosen.