Down to buisness

The suns close to setting and everyone's sort of lounging around Clint's land just doing whatever, except Tony, but I don't know where he is.

Feeling bored, I walk closer to the kitchen where Laura's making dinner. I lean against the wall, knocking on it a few times. She looks over at me, a little startled. She places a hand on her chest.

"Sorry. You surprised me there for a minute." She laughed. I smile.

"I, uh, was wondering if I could help." I motion to all the work she had to do. I mean cooking for four people is hard enough but for all of us who just popped up in her house... least I could do. Laura looks around, coming to a similar conclusion that she needs help and nods.

"Think you're brave enough to cut up the onions?" She asks with a grin. I smile widely and walk over to the cutting board, grabbing the onion and knife and I start expertly cutting the onion.

"You're pretty good with a knife." Laura compliments. I stop cutting and look over at her with a look. "Oh. Right." She smiles sheepishly, probably knowing I fight with a dagger along with my hands.

My eyes start to sting and pulse from cutting the onions. I groan, shutting and opening my eyes quickly, releasing a tear.

"Did you know the reason onions make us cry is because they produce the chemical irritant known as syn-propanethial-S-oxide. It stimulates the eyes' lachrymal glands so they release tears." I inform her with a nod. I stop cutting again to wipe my eyes with my shirt-covered-shoulder. I look over at her, feeling her gaze on me to see she looked quite puzzled.

"So you actually know everything?" She asks. I nod. "I thought Clint was just being over dramatic." She laughs. I continue cutting before I start talking.

"Well, I can see beyond the normal mind. I know all, or most. I can heal people or control people or really do anything I want by touching points in their body that the brain reacts to, causing them to do whatever I order." I explain with a shrug.

"Is that how you can dice those onions so... perfectly?" She asks causing me to laugh.

"I guess. Some things come more naturally than others. I'm still human. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. The only difference is that it doesn't take me very long to overcome my weaknesses. Like I learned how to bartend in under twenty minutes. But, learning how to play rugby took about an hour and half." I explain, thinking deeply on it. I see Laura nod out of the corner of my eye.

The two of us are silent for a long time as we move around the kitchen, cooking, cutting, and spicing different things.

"Thank you." Laura says suddenly. My head jerks up before turning to look at her.

"For what?" I ask with a smile.

"For saving my husband in those woods." She explains when I activated Clint's rapid healing. I nod, looking out the window to see Clint playing around the yard with Cooper as Lila runs after them.

"It was nothing... Clint's been like an annoying big brother to me," I look down at the mixture I'm concocting before I speak. "I don't know if Clint told you anything about me. But, um, I don't remember anything from my past fifteen years of life. I woke up on the side-walk two years ago remembering nothing about my old life- - my family. I was just lucky that Tony's building just happened to be the one I walked into... So, the avengers have been like my family, ya know, taking care of me, caring about me. All that." I laugh a little awkwardly.

I jump as Laura's hand is placed on my back.

"Well now that you know about us; this place with always be a home you can come back to." I looked over at Laura and her motherly smile. She brought me into her arms and hugged me.