Chapter 3 - Mending Broken Ends

The sun was low on the horizon when practice ended. It had been four days since the incident, and Yuki still hadn't talked to nor looked at Kyle. He was afraid; he didn't want to confront him.  He wanted to tell him, but he was too uncomfortable since Yuki was never one to talk.  He always kept things to himself, letting them bubble up inside of him.  It used to be no big deal, but now he felt as if he might explode.

Yuki wanted to talk to Kyle about what happened, but he wasn't sure how to.  He had always had trouble letting his feelings out, so now it was even worse to tell someone about them.  He didn't want to go to the locker room for a while, and probably never would again.  He looked at all the guys going into the room when he caught a glimpse of Kyle's hair. He swiftly turned away, as his heart was beating in his throat.  He hoped to God that he didn't see him.

After a few minutes, Yuki decided to walk with the other group of boys to keep himself company.  Just as he was about to leave the building, he heard someone call his name from behind him.

~*~

I gotta go find him, Kyle thought as he ran around the halls, not bothering to shower.  He needed to do this.  He had avoided him for five days, every moment spent planning out how to tell him, but Yuki kept shying away.  He got out of the locker room as quickly as possible, still smelling like sweat.  He didn't care though, he could just shower at home; all he cared about was finding Yuki.  He was running towards the exit of the building when he saw him.

Yuki was close to the main doors as the sun's rays rested on the building, and the room had a strange, orange glow.  The light from outside the glass doors illuminated the dust, and it seemed to sparkle around Yuki as Kyle ran closer.  He yelled out to him, just as he was slipping his outside shoes on.  As Yuki turned around to face Kyle, his eyes widened.

"I-I've been meaning to tell you this," Kyle started, "but...the other day...I'm really sorry I barged into the locker room like that...I should've asked first." He looked down in shame as he stiffly extended his right arm out to Yuki, holding the cell phone, the cracked screen reflecting the light.

His body framed in a golden halo, Yuki stood up.  He had an ethereal glow as he slowly took the phone from Kyle.  A silence fell between them until a faint whisper broke through.  Yuki turned his head, but Kyle could see his face turning pink.

"Thank you," Yuki murmured under his breath.  He turned around and bolted out the glass doors.

Only moments after the door closed did Kyle snap back to reality.  For the first time, he was so struck by Yuki's reaction that he was at a loss for words.  For the first time, he didn't know what to think as a cascade of thoughts ran through his head.

For the first time, he thought Yuki was cute. 

(538 words, 22 October 2019)

(538 words, edited 31 May 2020)

Image from: https://sew4home.com/sites/default/files/1944-Hand-Sewing-Thimble_0.jpg