Chapter 23 - Unlikely Duo

It was another sunny day at East Horizon Academy when the fall elective class schedule was revealed.  For one of the afternoon periods, those attending the Academy would partake in an art class, which was meant to help students express themselves and enhance their problem-solving capabilities.  It also increased their understanding of Japanese culture and was a healthy coping mechanism if other classes became too stressful.

Henry's first choice was to pick the same elective class as Pe, but he ate lunch with her every day and saw her often outside of school.  Plus, if he took a different class than his girlfriend, it would make for interesting conversation when they went out.

"Have you decided which class you want to take, love?" he asked Pe as he ran a plastic magenta brush through her hair.

"Hm, I was thinking about cooking or pottery," she answered as she scanned the list of classes.  Henry thought about it for a second, but shook his head; if he joined her, he would likely end up being one of the few boys in the class, and he might get distracted by her instead of paying attention.

"Well, you're plenty good at cooking already," he commented as he separated her long, straight hair into three sections.  "I don't think you'd need to take a class on that."

"I guess you're right.   I did learn from Aniki!" Pe agreed, "Maybe I'll pick pottery after all.  A handmade dish would make a nice gift, and it's functional as well!" Henry smiled as he began braiding the strands together; she was always thinking of others. "How about you, did you pick a class yet?"

"They all sound interesting, but I can definitely rule out cooking..."

"Oh, but I'm sure you'll learn with time, that's what the class is for, no?"  She was about to turn around to look at him but remembered that he was playing with her hair.

"I might just end up setting the classroom on fire...  Remember the soup can?"  They recalled the time he tried to heat up canned soup; she had insisted on helping him, but he assured her that he could do it himself.  Lo and behold, he had forgotten the most important step: to pour the soup out of the can.  He had simply placed the can into the pot and tried to boil it that way, and he was unsuccessful.

"How could I forget?"

"And I'm definitely not going to do flower arranging..."

"What's wrong with ikebana?  It always looks so beautiful, no matter what season it is."

"It seems kind of... feminine."  He finished weaving the braid and embellished it with a red satin ribbon.

"That's not necessarily true, I hear it's becoming popular with everyone nowadays."

"Perhaps, but I feel like I wouldn't have much use for it."

"What about the tea ceremony?"

"I don't think I can sit on my knees for so long," he smirked, "But I know you can."

"Henry!" Pe lightly slapped his leg.  "That was awful!"

"Sorry, sorry."

~*~

The school bell rang, signaling that the first elective class meeting would soon start.  Henry had ended up choosing the calligraphy course, as he scored lowest in Japanese when comparing his marks.  He was a decent student but figured that taking this class would boost his grades and diversify his vocabulary.  As usual, he had chosen a seat in the back of the classroom; he rested his chin in the palm of his hand and looked out the window.  Suddenly he heard a chair scrape against the floor, and he turned to find Yuki, who had chosen the seat beside him.