Chapter 16 - Test?

Pe had asked Yuki to pick up a take-home pregnancy test for her, as she didn't want to face the embarrassment of being seen purchasing one. Yuki was fine with it; they were close friends, and he didn't mind.  It wouldn't be too expensive, and she had promised to treat him to one of his favorite snack places in return.   Plus, it wasn't like Yuki was the one possibly pregnant, so he didn't feel any shame in buying such an item.  He felt eyes on him as he wandered into the reproductive health aisle of the nearest shopping mart.  He knew that people would judge him while they watched, but he didn't care; he understood that people have their own concerns, which could be addressed by certain products.  He picked up one of the pink boxes sitting on the shelf.   This one should work, he thought to himself.

~*~

Evan was in the area and had stopped by the local drugstore to get a package of his favorite soda.  He'd been craving it for days, as he had already run out of it the week before.  The automatic doors slid open as he approached the store entrance.  He sighed as he trudged inside, running a hand through his dark red hair.  He made his way towards the refrigerated section but had to walk many of the other aisles to get there.  He spotted a familiar face in the reproductive health aisle, and he slipped into the aisle behind to get a closer look.  It was Yuki, holding a pregnancy test box.  He wanted to burst into laughter as he saw him.  Why would Yuki need a pregnancy test if he was dating another guy?  He saw them confess their feelings to each other; they were clearly in love, and both were dangerously loyal.  Or...was Yuki cheating on Kyle?!  He thought about it as he tried to see what he was doing.

Then, it hit him like a load of bricks.  If both in the relationship were boys, and he was picking up a pregnancy test, was one of them cheating?  Everything was connected at that moment.  He now understood why Yuki was so sensitive, why he needed all these extra products, why he always wanted to be the last in the locker room.  He thought he understood the whole picture, and couldn't wait to tell the rest of the track team about it.  Silently, he pulled his cell phone from the pocket of his slacks and snapped a quick picture of Yuki holding the box.  Unfortunately for him, the shutter sound played as the photo was taken, gaining the attention of several other shoppers, Yuki included.  Evan almost dropped his phone and scrambled to catch it.   Thankfully he did, and the device stayed intact.  He was able to get further back into the next aisle before Yuki saw him, and he panted roughly in an attempt to regain his breath.  Yuki looked around, and after seeing no one else there, shrugged and went to the register to pay for it.  Evan kept his eyes on Yuki as he walked away and out of the store.  He was still trying to process what he had just seen, but he was pretty sure that he knew enough to put the pieces together.

~*~

Pe was nestled in her bed with Henry, waiting for the test results to come through.  Henry combed his thin fingers through Pe's long, dark hair as she rested her head on his chest.  He was growing increasingly anxious; what if the test turned out to be positive?  If he saw two pink lines on that plastic stick, he was sure he would faint.  He wasn't ready to be a father.  After all that he'd made Pe suffer through, he didn't want her to go through the guilt of bearing his child.  Knowing her, she wouldn't even consider getting rid of it.  If she did end up giving birth, he would try his hardest to make her and their baby feel loved, and that would mean being there for both of them whenever they needed him.   A small smile graced his features as he imagined a chubby newborn, peacefully slumbering as it was cradled in her arms.  There was no doubt to him that she would be one of the greatest mothers he had ever known.  She was so loving and gentle and had all the qualities of a picture book mother.  He had always dreamt of having a family with her, but now it was coming all too soon.  Suddenly Pe spoke up, breaking the silence.

"I... wonder what it will say," she mumbled, looking up at him.  She wanted to know what he was thinking; he was nervous, but she knew that they both were.  "What would you think... if it came back positive?"  He gulped audibly, trying to find the words to express what he felt then.

"I'd... be delighted," he said, "but also scared."  She smiled at him, her cheeks becoming lively and rosy as they usually were.

"Me too," she agreed, "There's so much responsibility that comes with a child... but to have one... that has parts of both of us... nothing could make me happier."  She shifted and tenderly placed a hand over her stomach.  The bedroom door then creaked open, and Yuki cleared his throat, directing their attention towards the doorway.

"Sorry to interrupt," Yuki began, "But I have the results for you.  I think you'll find it as surprising as I did."  He walked over to the bed and handed Pe the used pregnancy test,  wrapped in a paper towel.   Her breath was caught in her throat as she held it, and her hands shook noticeably.  As she slowly opened it, both boys leaned over her shoulders to get a closer look at the test.  One line; negative.  She let out a sigh of relief before turning to Yuki.

"Yuu-Kun!  Don't do that!  I thought you were trying to say it would have something else!"  Pe raised her voice at him and playfully hit his arm.

"Positive or not, it's still surprising.  There are only two possible results here," Yuki said and shrugged.  "Either way, I'm glad you're okay.  It's kind of a relief for me too."  He and Pe turned to Henry, who looked a bit lost in the situation.  He let out a sigh and hugged his girlfriend.

"I'm relieved it turned out this way," he muttered, "I don't know what I'd do if there was another line."

"Wait," Yuki said sharply, and Pe quickly let go of Henry to look at the test again.

"What?" she asked, "Let me see!"

"Nah, I'm just kidding.   It's still one line."  Yuki shook his head then smirked mischievously, and Henry chuckled at the little joke.

"Yuki!"  Pe shot up from the bed and jumped at him, but missed.  Yuki ran out the bedroom door, and his footsteps could be heard throughout the house.  Pe leaped off of her bed, and ran after him while shouting: "That's not funny!  Get back here!"  Henry smiled as he heard the thumping of their chase, and looked at a picture of Pe and himself that was on her nightstand.  It's crazy how just one simple line can change your life, he thought.

(1.2k words, 2 December 2019)

(1217 words, edited 31 May 2020)