Her, Lost

yo

enjoy

The rain that hit Paradise's head was freezing cold. By the time it dripped down her nose, it was warm as bathwater. That particular trick was only getting better every time it rained. Practice makes perfect.

People hurried by under umbrellas, leaving Paradise unbothered as she scoped out the street. This one had plenty of alleyways leading off it, and it wouldn't take much cajoling to get someone to help her. It was getting dark, too, so no one could get a good look at her face.

Paradise shook her head, soaked hair whipping her face.

Something shiny caught Paradise's eye on the other side of the street. She saw a man tuck something—silver? A phone?—into his pocket and turn down an alley.

Paradise grinned and crossed the street quickly, dodged around cars waiting at the red light, and ducked into the alleyway behind him. She rolled up her sleeves and followed.

Fire flicked into being over her skin.

"Hey," she said when she was behind him. Her voice sounded small, swallowed by the concrete and pouring rain. "Turn out your pockets or I'll set you on fire."

The man stopped walking. Turned his head slightly to look at her out of the corner of his eye. "I'm afraid I don't carry any cash on me."

His voice was like honey. Paradise nodded. "No one does. That wasn't the demand. Turn out your pockets give me your phone, whatever you have in there, and I won't set you on fire."

"I assume you're talking about this?"

He reached slowly into his pocket. When he removed it, an antique silver pocket watch hung from the end of a long chain. As quick as it had appeared, the watch flicked back into the man's hand, and he returned it into his pocket.

Paradise blinked. "That's it. Just put that watch on the ground and you can be on your way."

He turned to face her, slowly. "Or you'll burn me?"

"Horribly." Paradise waved her flaming hands around. "See?"

"I do see." The man rubbed his chin. "And what if I did this?" He splayed his hand.

The skin on Paradise's arms tingled, and she glanced down. The fire was gone. Panic flared in Paradise's mind, and she took a step backwards from the man.

He was going to hurt her. He was going to—

She froze the ground underneath his feet. She saw him stumble, and she froze the rain falling around them. It plummeted from the air like bullets.

The tingling on her arms disappeared. Paradise summoned the fire again and held her hands up. She would have to touch him if she was going to hurt him, catch that suit on fire. She took a deep breath—

"Hey!" he said, waving a hand. Then, he reached up and his face disappeared.

The breath left Paradise's lungs.

"You... Your..."

"I'm a skeleton?" he suggested.

Paradise felt the flames fizzle out. Her knees were weak. "Are you going to kill me?" Her voice was hoarse.

"No. Are you still going to mug me?"

All Paradise could do was shake her head no.

"Alright then, if we've come to an agreement." The man stood up and adjusted his tie. "I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm Skulduggery Pleasant."