pet peeve

chapter four
"pet peeve"
stranger things

Theodore frowned as he looked at Steve and the kid next to him

Theodore frowned as he looked at Steve and the kid next to him. "You're what?"

He wasn't entirely sure as to what was going on in front of him. Steve Harrington and Dustin Henderson were standing in front of Theodore, asking for his help to get a - what? A demo- a demodog? Wasn't that like a Dungeons and Dragons monster? Theodore raised his eyebrows at the two, expecting the other shoe to drop, for them to laugh. It didn't happen.

Steve smiled awkwardly.

Dustin didn't look impressed. "Look, are you going to help or not?"

"Give me a second." he said, closing the door part way. He returned a few minutes later with a gun and a longbow, quiver and equipment for it in hand.

"Whoa," Steve said, eyes wide. "Where the hell did you get those?"

Theodore shrugged. "Mom stole the gun from my dad. My dad had me get archery lessons." He grabbed his keys and locked the door behind him.

In Steve's car, Theodore busied himself by putting the quiver on the loop on his trousers, several arrows in the three sections of it. He put the two arm guards on his arm, securing them so they wouldn't get loose. The leather fingertab was worn and familiar. Once he felt settled, he rested his hands on the limbs of the bow.

"You have a bow?" Dustin asked when Steve had gone in to buy some meat for whatever pet project Dustin had let loose. He readjusted the microphone on his headset. Theodore didn't ask why he was wearing it.

"Yeah," Theodore said, shrugging his shoulder. "It's a longbow."

"No shit."

"Fuck off, kid, there's like five different versions of a bow."

Dustin raised an eyebrow. "Go on then,"

"Longbow, obviously. Barebow. Recurve. Compound - oh and crossbow." Theodore paused. "I'm pretty sure there's something called a flatbow. Maybe also a warbow. I have this longbow and a recurve." He nodded, pleased with what he'd said. "There's probably more that I've forgotten about, but yeah, there's more than just a bow and arrow."

The surprised look on Dustin's face was worth it. "Holy shit,"

Theodore smiled. "Not to mention that arrows are different for each bow type. Like here," he pulled an arrow out, showing Dustin, "this one is thicker than the ones I used for my recurve bow. And when I shoot this, it rests on my hand, so I always hope it doesn't end up going through my finger."

Dustin grimaced at that. "Sounds gross. You had any injuries from archery?" he asked as Steve returned, three buckets in hand.

"Not really. Fletchings sometimes catch on my hand if I'm not doing it properly. If my arm's not in the right position, the bowstring, like, slaps against it or something and I end up getting hella bruises on my arm." Theodore said as Steve opened the door and put the buckets in the back with Theodore.