ashes to ashes

chapter ten
"ashes to ashes"
stranger things

chapter ten"ashes to ashes"stranger things

"Oh fuck."

Steve's grip on him tightened. "Theo, what the hell just happened?" He looked at Theodore, who looked just as confused as him.

"I'm ... oh shit, I killed him,"

The two looked back at the pile of ash.

"It looks like it. Uh ... what do we do?"

"You're asking me?"

Steve shrugged at him. "I gotta say ... this is the least scary thing to happen to us so far."

"Take the Spider Monster over Vicky any day. Just ... we've now dealt with both of them. On the extreme end."

Steve lowered his head to Theodore's shoulder. He leaned back into the boy, blinking back tears. As much as they were terrified of Victor and what he could do, he hadn't expected to - well, he hadn't expected to kill him. He felt guilty and scared.

Theodore glanced down at his hands, suddenly terrified. He pried himself out of Steve's hands.

"I killed him, and I don't know how that happened. But I did it. El was right, and-and what the fuck is gonna happen?"

"Theo," Steve said, stepping closer to him. "We've got this, OK?"

"We fuckin' don't, Steve! I don't - what the fuck? Shit. This isn't normal, OK? And I don't even know how that happened," he said, gesturing pathetically at the remains of his father. "And what happens if I did that to you?"

Steve looked worried, but did his best to try and mask it. "Theo, babe, you haven't hurt me, and you never will. Victor was threatening us, and maybe-maybe that triggered it? You didn't hurt me when you - when you killed him." He stepped forwards, and his hands came to rest on Theodore's forearms. "You're not a danger to me, Theo. Whatever this is, we can figure it out. You and me."

Theodore went willingly into Steve's arms, wrapping his arms around the other boy. He was careful to not let his hands touch him, too scared that he could hurt him. He didn't know what was wrong with him, but he knew that it was dangerous. He had to be careful now, watch how it would manifest and do his best to make sure he didn't lost control. He couldn't risk losing control.

"I could be. A danger, I mean. It could get worse, and we're on our own in this, which is fucking ridiculous."

"I know," Steve said, resting his head atop Theodore's. "Just 'cause we're on our own in this, it doesn't mean we're gonna be shit at dealing with it. You're stronger than you think, Theo, and this is just another - another bump in the road."

Theodore sighed, then pulled away from him. "Right. OK. Um, we gotta - we gotta get rid of that," he said, flapping a hand in the direction of Victor. "I don't ... I don't know how I did that, and even if I did, I don't think I could reverse it."