daddy issues

chapter eight
"daddy issues"
stranger things

chapter eight"daddy issues"stranger things

Theodore wasn't that fond of Christmases. It meant seeing his dad, having an awkward family dinner, wondering why he was alive. The usual.

It didn't feel the same since Abel. He didn't know if it would ever be the same. He missed his brother. Everything was different now, had been for a while, but it still stung.

However, Theodore's dad was the most annoying person he'd ever met. And Theodore went to Hawkins High.

So Christmas came and went, and Theodore was free from being grounded. He spent time with Robin and Steve. Though Robin mostly just told him to get things into motion with Steve. Theodore didn't; he liked his friendship with Steve, and was too scared of risking losing everything with him. Plus, Theodore couldn't tell quite where Steve stood; sometimes his actions came across as maybe flirty, and other times they didn't. Theodore was too nervous to ask him about it.

The new year happened, and it seemed people were doing their New Years Resolutions. This was unfortunate in the fact that Theodore saw his father more often at the beginning of the year. He supposed he was lucky that his dad's visits dwindled down before February came around. It just meant the first month of the year generally sucked.

Theodore's thoughts sometimes went back to Steve, that night of the Snow Ball. Crying in the car, not quite saying I'm gay or I'm bi, just the my parents would kick me out. Theodore didn't like the idea of Steve being kicked out of his home just for being part of the LGBT community. It was something Theodore found himself losing sleep over. He knew that his mom would let Steve stay with them, no questions asked.

But things were OK between them. Theodore hadn't brought up the kiss, hadn't asked why he'd done it, or if Steve felt something for him. It felt wrong to ask that. It felt wrong of him to bring up that night; it felt like it had to be Steve to bring it up. He didn't even talk to Robin about it. He couldn't. It was just his and Steve's secret.

So he didn't talk about it, and things fell back into how they'd been before.

School still sucked, but Theodore had more friends than before.

There'd been a knock a the door, and he'd been expecting Steve, so he'd opened the door without looking through the peephole.

"Hey, son,"

Theodore never liked the way his father called him son. It felt like he was spitting the word out, like he didn't like it. It felt forced, and Theodore always felt his skin crawl when his dad called him that. He looked at his dad, surprised that he made an appearance. Victor Smith looked about as ugly as ever. Theodore wondered what he was even doing there.

"Hi. What are you - why are you here?" he said, frowning at his dad.

"Can't I come by and visit my eldest son?" he asked, stepping inside, past Theodore.