battles and losses

chapter eight
"battles and losses"
stranger things

chapter eight"battles and losses"stranger things

The monster stopped following them.

"It's turning around," Steve and Theodore said together.

"What?"

"It's turning around!" they repeated, looking back to the others.

"Maybe we wore it out?"

"Hell no," Theodore said, shaking his head. There was no way it had just given up.

"Hold on," Jonathan said, then made a pretty bad U-turn. Steve fell into Theodore, who winced at the sudden heavy weight on him. They each yelled out at the sudden move, and then they were the ones following the monster.

Theodore really hoped the monster wasn't toying with them. It was going back in the direction of the mall. Had something happened there? In the Russian base? Did something happen with El?

"Wait, we need fire," Theodore said. The others looked at him. "We're gonna kill this bitch, right? Burn it alive."

"Those fireworks!" Will and Lucas said, which left everyone else confused.

They made a quick pitstop at an already smashed in store and grabbed as many fireworks as they each could carry. Theodore could feel his heart pounding against his chest as he lugged the fireworks into the car. This was such a stupid idea, but it was better than letting the monster try and eat the world.

Jonathan was quick to get the car started again, speeding back towards the mall, until the pounding of the monster's feet became loud enough for them to hear. It didn't spot them once they'd arrived. Steve and Theodore led the way into the mall, into the upper levels, to try and get a better vantage point on the monster.

The monster paid them no mind, going for something on the bottom floor - El! Theodore felt his stomach drop. He was not letting that monster hurt that little girl.

Theodore lit his fireworks and threw them onto the monster. They each followed his lead.

"HEY ASSHOLE, OVER HERE!" Steve yelled, grabbing the monster's attention.

"AND HERE!" Theodore yelled, trying to confuse the monster.

The monster screeched at the pain, and Theodore caught sight of El and Billy. They scuffled before Billy jerked in movement, like he'd been shot.

"Mom?" Theodore said, squinting to look down at the scene.

He watched as Mary started shooting up at the monster, yelling something Theodore couldn't hear. Billy and El were together, the boy on top of her, frozen as he looked down at her.

"MOVE!" he yelled at her, throat ripping at the raw sound. His mom was too busy shooting the monster, determined to keep El safe, to make herself a target instead.