adventures in babysitting

chapter five
"adventures in babysitting"
stranger things

chapter five"adventures in babysitting"stranger things

Theodore wasn't sure what the hell had just happened. He'd fought with the others against a bunch of other worldly dogs. The night wasn't going quite how he thought it would be.

"Hey," Steve nudged his shoulder against Theodore's, pulling him out of his thoughts. "You good?"

"Yeah," he said, listening to the teens in front of them talking about Dart, the Demogorgon dog. "Just ... not quite how I thought I'd be spending this night." He looked up and smiled at Steve. "I mean, don't get me wrong - trying to stop other world beings trying to come here and probably take over our world. Better than doing homework, I guess,"

Steve nodded. Most anything would be better than doing homework.

They were walking along the abandoned train lines, in the direction that the dogs had gone in, and Theodore felt nervous for several reasons. He felt responsible for the kids' lives, and didn't want anything bad to happen to them. He felt nervous about what they were doing, the danger they were throwing themselves into. And he felt nervous about Steve, but that wasn't exactly out of the ordinary for Theodore. He wondered why his life had taken a sudden turn, and only had Steve and Dustin to blame.

The kids were talking about Dart molting, shedding his skin for a larger growth, and was probably going to do the same thing soon. Theodore didn't want to think about just how big Dart could get. He'd been big enough when he - or one of the other ones - had been near face to face with Theodore. He didn't want to think about what Dart would look like full size.

Theodore knew that the demodog's face would be a new contender in his nightmares for the next few years. He wasn't that excited over it.

"Just - if these creepy fuckers eat cats, then they're probably gonna eat us."

Lucas whirled around to look at Theodore and Steve, bringing their group to a sudden stop. "What? Dart ate a cat?"

"No!" Dustin exclaimed, which Theodore knew was suspicious as hell.

He frowned over at him. "You said Dart ate your cat, Mews," he said, shrugging a shoulder.

Then he had to watch Dustin and Lucas having a little spat. Theodore shook his head, then heard a noise, and turned in the direction of it. He frowned, and moved closer, and felt someone brush against him. He glanced to his side and noticed Steve. He was glad that the oldest of the group had also heard the weird noise. It sounded like screeching, and Theodore wished he hadn't heard it. He knew it was those damn dogs returning home.

"Hey, guys?" Steve said, trying to grab their attention. Theodore gripped his bow tighter, squinting into the darkness. He hoped that the stupid Demodogs wouldn't make a surprise attack and jump out at them.