Jiren's Backstory (Short Chapter)

Goku and Vegeta stands across the ring from Jiren.

Jiren: I admit, you've gotten this far. But hear my words, I will win this, and get the Super Dragon Balls.

Goku: I didn't really think of what my wish is going to be.

Jiren: Enough talk! I've waited long enough!

Vegeta: Let's put an end to this.

Silence fills the arena. Goku and Vegeta turn Super Saiyan and fly towards Jiren, and begin to fight. Jiren blocks both their attacks shot for shot. Jiren knocks back both Goku and Vegeta, but they stop themselves. Jiren fires multiple Ki blasts that creates a large cloud of smoke. Goku and Vegeta cover up, and knock some blasts away. Vegeta flies through the smoke, and continues to fight Vegeta. Goku follows shortly after.

Goku: Vegeta!

Vegeta gets kicked to the ground, and recovers.

Goku ascends to Super Saiyan 2, and continues to fight against Jiren. Vegeta watches from the ground. Jiren fires a volley of fists, which Goku manages to blocks the attacks.

Vegeta: (Thinking) That's it!

Goku gets kicked back. Vegeta rockets forward, with Jiren in his sight. Jiren does the same, but Vegeta dodges each punch, and manages a shot to the stomach.

Belmod: What?! How did he...?

Whis: Vegeta managed to find an opening after watching Goku fight Jiren.

Back to the fight, Vegeta begins to send Jiren backwards, still blocking his attacks. Jiren readies a punch, but becomes stunned by a kick to the gut by Vegeta. Vegeta gets shots in. Goku looks on in disbelief. Jiren pushes Vegeta back with a powerful force from a glare. Both stop fighting. Jiren stands silent. Goku joins Vegeta.

Vegeta: What's the matter? You've gone silent.

Jiren: Don't get cocky just because you got some shots in. You will fall!

Vegeta: I don't think you understand, this isn't just about my pride, it's not about the Tournament of Power, it's about saving my family!

Belmod: Is that really what this is about to you? You're doing this for your own personal life and loved ones?

Vegeta: Stay out of this, clown.

Belmod: What do you get from winning this? What wish will you ask for?

Vegeta: I haven't honestly put consideration into it. (To Jiren) What about you, do you have a wish? From what I've noticed, you aren't a very talkative type so maybe this question will get you talking.

After an uncomfortably long silence, Jiren turns to the seats.

Jiren: There is one wish I ask for.

Jiren goes silent.

Khai: Lord Belmod, do you know of this?

Belmod: I do. For the longest time, Jiren's heart has clung to one thing. I think it must be that.

Khai: Tell us, Belmod.

Belmod: Perhaps it's time I you all know; the reason behind Jiren's obsession with strength.

A flashback begins. A young version of Jiren is running, and stops at a burning village. Jiren peers into one of the house's remains. A large shadow holds a human-like figure.

Belmod: Jiren's family was slaughtered, by an unknown and powerful being, and he was the only one spared to my knowledge. He was rescued by a man, who eventually became his master and almost a father figure to him. Since that day, Jiren has devoted himself to the path of truthful and purely righteous power, hoping to turn himself into a fortress that no man could bring down. Over time, he began making allies; a community if you may at some point, and they each followed their master's way. Until, the same being appeared. Jiren and his brethren stood against it. He was sure he would win with their combined forces. But sadly, in the end the being was to strong. His brothers were slaughtered, one by one. Even Jiren's master lost his life in the battle.

Flashback Jiren: No! Stop!!

Belmod: After that, Jiren attempted to regroup with others, but the other students didn't listen and split off. With no hope of rescue, the people of his land were forced to surrender their land, and submit. Jiren was left alone once again.

Flashback Jiren: (screams)

Belmod: Jiren began suffering immense grief when those he trusted and saw as friends people betrayed their own principles for an easier path. After that, Jiren trusted nobody until he joined the Pride Troopers.

Everyone goes silent.

Goku: So that's what he's after..

Krillin: Damn, after something like that it sounds almost impossible he's with the Pride Troopers after something like that.

Piccolo: The inner torment he must've gone through, it's rough to hear but through that he made himself stronger.

Belmod: Yep, Jiren has been after strength this whole time. I appreciate your "condolences," but he doesn't need them from you.

Jiren: Silence! I won't let you speak anymore! Unless you too wish to get in my way..!

Belmod: You dare talk back to a God of Destruction? You should watch what you say, Jiren..

Jiren: Hmph.. At this point you should Belmod. If someone doesn't dethrone you, I may be that one if you push me far enough!

Belmod shakes slightly, but glaces back at Jiren with annoyance.

End of Chapter 10