Part 8

Madhu watches on as RK walked towards the outhouse. She was too upset to run to him at present. How could he put color on Dipali before putting for her? she is his wife! Maybe he had to... and he already had color on his face. Maybe his family put for him and how can he stop them from putting color on him? he couldn't tell them that she was supposed to put color for him first. but how could he put color for Dipali? 

She hears the door open and turns to look at him. "Happy Holi, Madhu!" RK says smiling as he walked towards her. 

Madhu looks away upset. 

"What happened?" RK asks frowning seeing her upset. 

Madhu shakes her head in no and starts to walk away. 

"What happened, Madhu?" RK asks her holding her hand lovingly. 

"Nothing." Madhu tells him looking away. "I've to take a bath." 

"But before that tell me why my biwi is upset." 

"You were putting color on Dipali!" Madhu says angrily. "And she was putting for you." 

"Haan... so?" 

Madhu looks at him in shock. 

"I know you are upset about the whole proposal thing but it is sorted out. I talked to Dipali and I told her that I don't want to marry her. She seemed to understand that I was not interested in her." 

"So you'll put color on her?" Madhu asks him furiously. 

"Madhu, she is a guest here and I can't just insult her when she asks me if she can put color on me. It is holi and it is not like I am branding her or anything." RK says.  

"It is!" 

"WHAT THE HECK?" 

"It is holi! Don't you know the importance of holi?" Madhu asks him with tears in her eyes. 

"Do you think I would know?" RK asks slightly losing his temper seeing her tears. "I didn't know the importance of mangal sutra and you expect me to know the importance of holi other than it is a festival where we simply play with colours?" 

Madhu looks down upset and says sadly, "You promised me that we would put color on each other first." 

"And what do you mean by that?" RK asks her getting furious. 

"What?" 

"What is your problem?" 

"My problem?" Madhu asks shocked. 

"That I put color for Dipali or ... ?" 

"Leave it! You will not understand." Madhu says upset with him. 

"No! You are accusing me of something and I want to know what it is!" RK says furiously. 

"You are shouting at me!" Madhu says crying. 

"Stop crying then and talk to me like an adult." RK says angrily, every time she cries some darkness grips his heart and he loses his composure. She was his life and tears in her eyes were not something he could bear. 

"You promised me!" Madhu accuses him. 

RK looks at her confused for a few seconds then realization dawns and then he asks her in a calm even tone as he regained his composure, "I broke my promise to you?" 

Madhu sniffs loudly. 

RK holds her hand and walks towards their bedroom. 

"Rishu?" Madhu asks in shock and RK without a word pushes her in front of the mirror. Madhu looks at him in shock and then turns to look at the mirror and looks at her reflection in shock seeing red color on her cheeks and maang.