5- Island Adventure

Sadie glanced up from her spot behind the counter as she heard the bell atop the door ring, and a very groggy Steven walked in. She suppressed a giggle at just how utterly defeated he looked.
"I need a vacation..." he sighed as he leaned onto the counter.
"Late night, I presume?" Sadie already knew what he was going to order, and began placing two chocolate jelly donuts into a paper bag.
"I did not sleep at all. Amethyst wants to prove she can beat me in... well, anything- so that means staying up all night battling a very competitive gem." He began to dig in his trouser pocket for some change to pay for his food.

He looked at Lars' sleeping form slouched against the display, feet propped up on the counter and snorted in laughter.
"What's up with that train-wreck?" He gestured to him. Sadie rolled her eyes.
"He's just a mess... and I haven't been able to get past him without him yelling at me... so I'm stuck behind the counter for my conceivable future." She huffed.

Steven grinned mischievously as she said this. Sadie gasped when she saw the water from her cup propel upwards, before splashing on Lars' face. With a rather... womanly shriek, Lars jumped out of his seat, furiously wiping the water off of his face.

He glared at the hysterical Steven and Sadie, wiping tears from their eyes in laughter.
"Oh haha, guys. Laugh it up!" Lars growled.
"Oh- ohohoho, Steven! That was brilliant!" Sadie slapped her knee.
"You're welcome." He snickered in reply. Lars grit his teeth.
"You're a nightmare! Both of you! I can't even sleep without someone pouring a cup of water over my head!" He jammed a finger into Sadie's chest. "You always do this!"
She frowned and pushed his finger away.
"You're the one sleeping at work like some lazy bum!"

Steven watched the pair bicker back and forth with a blank stare. He pinched the bridge of his nose as they began to yell louder.
"Okay!" He interrupted them. "I can tell you're both stressed and in need of a break. So why not join me on my holiday, huh? We can relax on an island, no disturbances, and just forget about everyone and everything for a day." He smiled expectantly.
"What do ya say?"

Sadie and Lars briefly made eye contact.
"That... sounds nice. Thanks, Steven." Sadie smiled politely and nudged Lars.
"Fine! As long as I get to relax, I'm on board." He crossed his arms indignantly. Steven exhaled tiredly.
"Meet at my place in an hour and I'll teleport us there."

The bright beam of light dissipated, and Sadie looked around the vegetation excitedly.
"We're here!" Steven smiled, stepping off of the warp pad. Sadie appreciated his change of attire- instead of his usual dark blue hoodie and sneakers, he wore a tight fitting black shirt and sandals, not to mention the bright grin on his face and the guitar strapped to his back. She always thought he looked sad, so seeing the teen like this was a delightful change of pace.

"Come on, this way!" He walked towards a clearing, pausing when he didn't see Lars and Sadie following.
"This is way too weird, I'm going home." Lars stated in his usual ignorant fashion.
"What, come on! You need this, and Heaven knows I do too." Steven reasoned. Sadie beckoned him excitedly.

Lars shoved past her, dragging Steven along with him.
"Fine but it if blows I'm out of here."
Sadie grimaced as she lagged behind.

They reached the forest clearing and Steven gestured to the crystal oceans and white beach.
"Welcome to paradise, my friends!"
"Steven!" Sadie exclaimed. "It's beautiful!"
Lars scoffed. "We live on a beach."
"Very enthusiastic Lars, thank you." Steven deadpanned. He began to walk away, his face contorted in irritation. This angered Sadie to no end- Steven had finally showed them a more laid back, happy side of him, and Lars felt the need to ruin that by being his usual rage inducing self. She elbowed his side harshly in an attempt to get him to stop. Despite this, he didn't stop.