29- The First Lie

Honestly? Nothing felt better than getting back to the routine.

Early morning flights, daily sparring with Amethyst, getting donuts with dad, almost having a panic attack in the shower because the boiler broke and it was so fucking cold it reminded you of the unbearable pressure of the ocean-

Well, almost back to routine.

It was comforting to know that things could get back to normal. However, there was just these tiny constant reminders that drove Steven crazy.

Working on the drill with Peridot reminded him of the unending threat of death at any given moment. The sound of his ringtone that made his heart leap into his throat because he just knew it was Connie trying to call him for the fifth time that week, but he just couldn't bring himself to talk to her because she broke his heart into a million pieces and spat on it like it was a worthless-

Whoops. Getting carried away again.

"Hey, Peri."

He landed beside the small green gem, his wings retreating into his back.

"Good morning, Steven." Peridot replied, not looking away from her blackboard notes.

"I was just grabbing the last of my stuff. And, well, saying goodbye to you." He shrugged. Peridot looked up at him, an unreadable expression on her face.

"I must admit, I am reluctant to see you go. Our few weeks as 'barn buddies', as you call it, has been... enjoyable." A small smile formed on her face, and Steven couldn't help but grin back.

He grabbed his bag, and after sharing a quick hug, he was back in the air.

"Home sweet home!"

Amethyst snickered at Steven as they entered his beach house for the first time in weeks. He took a deep breath, smiling at the nostalgic smell of home.

"Man, it feels good to be back!" He laughed, hopping up the stairs and flopping down on his bed.

"How much you wanna bet everything in the fridge's gone off?" Amethyst flopped down beside him.

"Eh." He shrugged. "You're gonna eat it anyway."

"Can't argue with that."

They welcomed the comfortable silence that came. They weren't doing more than just staring up at the ceiling, but it was strangely cathartic. The soft sounds of the ocean waves gently lapping over the shore drifted in from the outside, and for the first time in long time, it brought a small smile to Steven's face.

He wasn't afraid anymore.

Well, he was... but within reason.

It was different from before- he could walk again, and his powers were back. He wasn't exactly thrilled at the circumstances he got his powers back under, but he was glad nonetheless. Despite having the occasional nightmare about his confrontation with Jasper, it reminded him that he wasn't helpless. He could take on the ocean.

To summarise, he felt... better. Yeah, better!

A knock at the door broke his train of thought.

"Are we expecting anyone?" Asked Amethyst, suddenly protective.

"Not that I know of... it's probably Jamie or something with my mail."

Steven walked down the stairs, eyes widening at who stood at the door. Despite his better judgement, he opened it.

"Hi." She spoke sheepishly.

"What are you doing here?" He replied, stepping outside and closing the door behind him.