24- When It Rains

Connie laughed at Jeff, pointing at the blob of ice cream he had on his nose. He snorted and wiped it off, laughing along with her. The pair walked down the boardwalk, eating ice cream to cool down from the heat of the early morning sun.

"So how are things going with Steven? I hear he's doing better." Asked Jeff. Connie's smile diminished slightly.

"Well..." She sighed. "We haven't really talked since he woke up. He's been so... distant and cold. I don't blame him; he's been through a lot, but..." She trailed off, not really being able to find the right words. "He's changed."

Jeff looked towards her, placing a sympathetic hand on her shoulder.

"It's not the end of the world. It's best if you just give him some space for a while until he sorts things out, y'know?" He tried. Connie smiled at him.

"Yeah, you're right."

"Anyway, on a more positive note, I got us two tickets to Funland!" Connie's face brightened as he said this, and the pair quickly ran off towards the amusement park, excitement written legibly on their faces.

"Peridot! You can't hide in there forever!" Called out Steven, fighting the urge to roll his eyes as he banged on the bathroom door.

"You may have won the war but the battle isn't over, crystal CLODS!" She spat back, her voice muffled by the door. Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl stood behind Steven, staring in irritation at the door the little green gremlin hid behind.

"Should... should we tell her that's the bathroom?" Said Pearl.

Amethyst rattled the doorknob, retorting that it was locked.

"Peridot, open the door!" Shouted Garnet. The four gems looked at each other with wide eyes as they heard the toilet flushing.

"If you're trying to flush yourself down the toilet it won't work- trust me, I've tried." Called Amethyst. The flushing stopped.

"How did she get out? We bubbled her!" Said Pearl.

"Maybe we need a bigger bubble?"

"My bubbles are fine." Garnet sassed.

"Oh yeah, that was me." Deadpanned Steven, ignoring the shocked look on the gem's faces. "What?! She knows something- something that made her scared."

"Duh- homegirl knows we're gonna beat her into a grain pancake." Slurred Amethyst, punching her fist into her palm.

"No, it was something called... the 'cluster'? I think?"

"That's right, you pebbles! You don't even know what's coming!" Peridot screamed from inside the bathroom.

"That's fine. If fighting won't work, we can just have a civil conversation." Reasoned Garnet.

"As if I'd negotiate with you, filthy war machine!"

"Okay." Garnet's gauntlets were summoned onto her hands. "Let's kick her butt."

"Yeah! Poof me again! Then have fun trying to talk to me when I'm in a BUBBLE!"

"As much as I hate to say it, she's got a point." Said Pearl. "Unfortunately, if she's got information, she's more valuable to us like this."

"So... she just stays in the bathroom?" Said Steven.

"Nah." Replied Amethyst. "I've got a better idea."

Connie pulled her arm back, her left eye closing as she aimed at her target. Then, her hand burst forward, the ring she held flying off her finger and landing perfectly over a bottle, its top sticking out through the ring's hole. Despite internally celebrating, she took a step back with a sigh.