30- Message Received

"This has Steven written all over it." Sighed Amethyst, eyeing the wall of ice in the middle of the living room.

"I suggested we wait for both of you to get here, and he had a tantrum and left without us." Huffed Pearl, becoming irritated just by looking at the frosty structure. Garnet just stared at it, a stony expression on her face.

"I don't know what's going on with him! He was fine until I mentioned- oh." Pearl interrupted herself, glancing at Garnet sheepishly. She looked back, noticing the icy structure had began to melt; she couldn't help but suppress the urge to grab a mop.

"I'll talk to Steven when he gets back." Garnet spoke finally.

Amethyst looked sceptical. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" She said. "What if we overwhelm him or something and he runs off again?"

"It's a possibility." Garnet sighed, adjusting her visor. "But there's also a possibility that he listens and we move past this. He can't keep up this grudge against me forever- fusion is a part of who I am, and it's a part of who he is, whether he likes it or not."

"But, Garnet!" Protested Amethyst. "He's always been afraid of people taking advantage of him when fusing because of his power, and he was right! He spent an unbearable amount of time fused with Jasper. The emotional and physical strain of that type of fusion... I can't imagine it." She took a breath, feeling her hands begin to tremble. "He's still recovering, so we can't get angry at him when he does things like this- he probably feels alone, and-and..." She trailed off, not knowing what to say next.

Garnet's arms wrapped around herself, almost as if she were holding herself together, fingers digging tensely into her arms.

"Garnet? Are you alright?" Pearl tried to step forward, but quickly backtracked when she heard Garnet muttering inaudibly.

Spooked, the two gems stepped away from her, visible concern on their faces.

"I don't feel like forgiving Steven!" Garnet suddenly cried out, teeth grit together. "There's nothing to forgive, he did nothing- no!"

A bright flash of light, and two smaller gems tumbled to the ground.

"We must move past this, Ruby." Sapphire spoke, calm and collected as ever.

"Are you kidding?!" Ruby snarled, scrambling to stand up, hands bunching to fists at her sides. "We spend years teaching him about how fusion is about love and understanding, then he goes and fuses with the enemy, and for what?! To make some sort of self-righteous hero sacrifice?! And then- he has the audacity to be mad at us for being a fusion?! How are you not furious at him?!"

"Ruby, Sapphire!" Pearl and Amethyst exclaimed, but were ultimately ignored as the two smaller gems continued to argue.

"You're choosing to take it personally." Sapphire deadpanned.

"It's fusion, Sapphire! What is more personal than fusion?!"

"The sooner you get over this, the sooner we can help Steven get over the traumatic experience he went through. This is not about us, and this is not about you."

"YOU ARE NOT AS ABOVE THIS AS YOU THINK YOU ARE!" Ruby gripped her hair, tugging at it relentlessly in anger. "Of all people, I thought you would be on my side in this! Steven, the sweet little boy who used to sing us songs on his ukelele, trapped another gem in an abusive fusion, then gets mad at us just for existing!"

"Maybe you two should take a break..." Pearl said, placing a hand on Sapphire's shoulder. "Amethyst, why don't you take Ruby somewhere quiet? I'll stay here with Sapphire."