9- On The Run

"Steven!"

Steven yelped and dropped the book he was holding as Amethyst burst into his house. He sat up from the couch and picked up his book.
"Why do you feel the need to scare the crap out of me whenever you enter a room?" He huffed. Amethyst snickered.

"I'm bored." She whined.
"Doesn't answer the question."
"I wanna go flying! Please?" She have him her best puppy eyes, and he couldn't help but give in.

"Fine."

Amethyst grinned and ruffled his hair.
"Thanks bro- I'll go grab my sailor hat." She ran into her room to find her hat.
"Do you always have to wear it?!" He called after her in frustration.

A moment later, Pearl and Garnet warped back into the living room, Garnet holding about a dozen of the machines they had found when Peridot had come to Earth.
"Oh hey, it's those warp robots." Steven looked at them with wide eyes. He still felt uneasy around them, considering they had tried to kill him.
"We need to stop them from repairing the warp pads. Homeworld gems can not have any sort of access to Earth." Garnet said.
"If the Homeworld gems are trying to return to Earth... they have to be stopped!" Pearl exclaimed.
"Pearl, calm down. Homeworld is still cut off." Garnet said lowly.

"What do the Homeworld gems even want to do?" Asked Steven, standing from his spot on the couch. At that moment, Amethyst emerged from her room, head adorned with her tattered sailor hat.
"Alright let's go." She said.
"In a sec, Pearl was just telling me about what Homeworld gems want to do to Earth or something." Steven replied. Amethyst's expression turned sour.

"Steven, a long time ago, gems tried to do something very bad to the Earth." Pearl explained. "It would have damaged it greatly, and gems such as me, Garnet and your mother found this unfair to the life that already existed here. So we swore that we would never let the Earth be used for their... purposes again."
"Even if it meant we could never go home." Garnet finished.

Steven's mood had done a one-eighty, and he could feel his face cringing.
"Wow, that sounds bad." He spoke bluntly.
"Yup. Horrible." Said Amethyst through grit teeth. "Let's go, Steven."

She quickly grabbed him by the hoodie and dragged him out the door.

Amethyst sat on Steven's back as they soared over Beach City. His wings flapped elegantly as they glided lower. However he found it strange how uncharacteristically quiet she was being.

"Peaceful up here, huh?" He tried. No response. "I've always found it relaxing to come up here ever since I learned to fly." He tried once more. No response.

He sighed, breathing in the cool air in the frosty blue sky. His shoulders were feeling a bit stiff in the cold, but he savoured the feeling of flying regardless.
"Okay Amethyst, what's wrong?" He didn't bother trying with any more ice-breakers, and decided to just get to the point. "You've been weirdly quiet, and I'm starting to get worried."

She exhaled and fluffed his hair affectionately.
"Thanks for worrying, Steven... but I'll be alright. And you're right, it's peaceful up here."
Steven turned his head to smile at her, but turned back when she didn't reciprocate.
"Do you want to go home?" He asked.
"That's not my home."
"Because you're from Homeworld...?"
"That's not my home either!"
"Then.. where are you from?"

"I'll show you."

"Amethyst!" Groaned Steven. "We've been flying for hours, and I still have no idea where we're going! And I'm the one flying us there!"
Amethyst shushed him.
"Come on, my wings are getting tired." He whined.
"Your wings are made of water. How can water feel tired?" She retorted.
"They just do, okay." He muttered.