13- Interception

Steven soared over Ocean Town, staring down in confusion at the map app on his phone. It was marginally more difficult to follow road directions when flying above them, and he groaned for the third time as he made a wrong turn.

In hindsight, offering to pick Connie up from school probably wasn't the best idea.

He had no experience as to what school was even like, so he thought that going to get her and maybe having a look around would be a good idea. The reason he never actually went to school in the first place was because Pearl found the things they taught to be useless.

Honestly, Steven couldn't help but agree.

His knowledge of the universe was to a much larger degree than anything they could teach in high school, and due to his connections to the gems, school would take up too much of his time. He had a war to prepare for, after all. He had been for years.

His face lit up the moment the building came into view.

He drifted down and landed in front of the gate, his wings retreating into his back. Glancing around he couldn't spot Connie anywhere, so he took a moment to admire the large school. The building itself was huge- it even had three floors! There was a small courtyard out front where the gate was, and from his areal view earlier he remembered seeing a second smaller building, and an unbelievably enormous grass field stretching out behind the buildings. It wasn't nearly as tall as the temple, but he still couldn't help being impressed by its size.

Somewhat cautiously, he ventured in through the gate, walking slowly through the courtyard. It was less crowded than he had expected, but that was comforting. Steven wasn't a fan of huge crowds.

Concluding that Connie was simply late coming out from lesson, he found himself walking over to a message board and reading the news of the school.

However, there was one piece of paper that caught his eye.

It didn't seem like much at first, but upon closer inspection, Steven was baffled to see a picture of Lion on it. Underneath it read; "Vote Connie Maheswaran for junior prom queen, and Steven Universe for junior prom king!"

What.

His cheeks blushed pink at the drawing of a stick figure with wings and another with fluffy hair and glasses framed in a heart on the page.

What?!

Connie walked out from class and onto the courtyard, scanning the area for any sign of Steven. After a moment of searching, she quickly spotted him with his back to her near the message board. Her face brightened as she walked over. However it quickly fell as she realised what he was so focused on.

"Hey, Stev- oh no." He turned to her, his eyes wide and swimming with a million questions. "So you saw it, huh?" She laughed nervously. "I'd assume you'd have some questions..."

He nodded his head vigorously.

"Oh, um, just a few." Steven started. "But I'd say the most pressing one is, what the hell?!"

Connie cringed slightly before grabbing the paper and ripping it off the board.

"It's nothing! It's just..." She trailed off. "I was really late last week so I rode into school on Lion, and everyone saw, and suddenly I'm the super popular magical girl, and Jeff accidentally told someone about you, and it spread more and more until- ugh." She stopped the words tumbling from her mouth by face palming.

"In summary," she breathed. "Everyone's treating this like some sort of fairy tale, and really wants us to end up together."

Steven only stared at her, his face slack and confused. He spluttered for a full minute before gripping his already unruly hair.