Eight

*Cassie's View*

"Alright, who's ready for beach day?" Mom asked as dad drove us to the beach that is close to our house. I love spending days with my family on the beach by a beautiful lake. We all hollered and laughed at the end of it. I smiled and looked out the window. Dad pulled into a parking spot and parked the car. We all climbed out. I grabbed my swimming stuff. "Cassie, your mom and I have to talk to you." dad said. I looked at him and nodded. 

My brothers and sisters ran into the water and started to have fun without me. "If you think you are apart of this family. Well, you're wrong. We're just taking care of you until your real parents come and get you. You hear me." Dad said. I looked at him. Me only being four I didn't understand him. I nodded. "Now go play." mom said. I nodded and ran to the beach. I took my shoes off and put my stuff on the sand. 

I ran into the water and started to play with my brothers and sisters. My brother than pushed me under the water. Not letting me come up for air.

"Cassie." a voice said. I jumped. I knew I was dreaming, but I hate having nightmares. Memories that come to me out of nowhere in my sleep. I looked to see Bryce was there and his arm was around me. "Shhhh, it's okay. Just a nightmare," he said hugging me. He started to rub my back. 

I hide my face in his neck. Trying not to cry. Bryce kept on whispering calming things in my ear. Like 'It's okay' , 'You're safe', and 'I will never let anything bad happen to you'. I started to calm down. I took my face out of Bryce's neck. "You should go back to sleep. You look tired." Bryce said looking at me. I nodded and laid down on the couch. Bryce laid down and looked at me. I was facing him. "You're safe kiddo. I will never let anything bad happen to you." Bryce said. I nodded and turned to face the TV. 

Bryce put his right arm under my head as a pillow and wrapped his other arm around me. Holding me close to him. "Everything is going to be okay," Bryce said. I nodded as I drifted back to sleep. Not wanting Bryce to leave me. I already think he's clear of charges too. But if I say that then I wouldn't feel safe anymore. I took a breath as a dreamless sleep came over me. 

*Bryce's View*

I woke up around I think it was eight in the morning. I looked around the room I was in. As memories of last night and yesterday came flooding in. I looked at seeing Cassie fast asleep with my arms around her. I smiled and kissed the top of her head. I took the pillow from under my head and carefully up to it under her head. Trying not to wake her up. I put the blanket back on her as I carefully got off of the couch. 

I looked back at her to see how peaceful she looked. It was nice to see her like that fast she woke up with a nightmare last night. I smiled and took a picture. I then walked to the kitchen. 

That's when I saw mom

That's when I saw mom. "Morning," I said getting coffee. "Well, good morning." Mom said. I looked at the clock. "Shit, I'm late for school," I said before taking a sip of coffee. "Calm down. I called in telling them that you aren't able to come today." Mom said. I looked at her. "Really," I said. "Yeah, I didn't want to wake you and Cassie," she said smiling. I smiled and took another sip of my coffee. 

"I also called Monty and he said he'll bring you work you missed." mom added. I nodded. "Where's Cassie?" she asked. "Still asleep. I didn't want to wake her up."I said. She nodded. "You guys looked so cute last night." Mom said. I looked at her. "I have the best picture of the two of you." mom said. "Can you send it to me?" I asked. She nodded. She went on her phone and sent it to me. I looked at the picture. "That is a good one," I said before taking another sip of coffee. 

"So, what happened last night? I heard some faint screaming." mom said. "Cassie had a nightmare last night. That's why I didn't want to wake her up. She was so scared. It broke my heart to see her like that." I said. Mom nodded. "Looks like she grew on you." Mom said. I nodded. "And it's okay. She's grown on me too." mom said. I nodded. 

"So, can I ask you something?" Mom asked. "Sure," I said. "I was thinking last night after seeing you two. And I never realized it until then." mom said. "What's wrong?" I asked. 

"Nothing, I just feel like a grandma around Cassie. The need to spoil her. The need to help her whenever you aren't with her." mom said. I looked at my coffee cup. "Bryce is something wrong?" mom asked. "No, just that's what it feels like when I'm around her. But to me, it's like being protective around her. Not wanting anything bad to happen to her." I said. I looked up at mom. 

She nodded. "I think you're feeling like a dad to her Bryce." Mom said. I nodded. "Yeah, I just want her to have someone to look up too that isn't like her family," I said. "Yeah, I heard you guys talking before the movie. That's terrible." mom said. I nodded. "I can't believe they would do something like that," I said. 

A crazy thought came into my head. "Mom, what if I took Cassie in?" I asked.