Chapter 2

Recon POV:

I awoke to an early morning in a serene forest which sort of reminded me of the forests in NZ but not quite, there was a few differences. I got up quickly and surveyed my surroundings, I couldn't see anything besides the mostly flat terrain and dense forest, it wasn't dense enough that I couldn't walk in it but was dense enough that you could easily get lost if you didn't know where you're going. Seeing the coast was clear from any threats I took of my pack to do a kit check. I saw that I had my usual stuff like sleeping bag, bivvy bag (a water proof cover over his sleeping bag) four water bottles hanging on the molle of my pack and two ration packs that would last me 24 hours each. My pack would also have some extra space for extra ammo or a extra first aid kit for long missions without a direct line to logistics. Last I remembered not having anything in there but now it looked like I was ready to go "call of duty" inside enemy battalion headquarters and I also now knew why my pack was a lot heavier. I perished the thought and checked my now  full of ammo chest rig and grenades resupplied. I shook my head at the thought of this, "I fucken  died and now here I am with all my shit and more like I'm about to invade China and it's allies by myself." 

I then pulled out my compass seeing that it worked wherever I am now. Finding north, I decided to go that way until I found a stream or water source I could follow until I found a town thinking that towns are traditionally built on waterways to bring resources in and out. I had walked for 2 hours non stop until I found a river that also brought back memories of my home town in New Zealand, the Manawatu river that me and my friends and family used to go down all the time. I snapped out of my day dreaming state when I heard the sound of gunfire in the distance. The training and experience kicked in and I jumped to the floor behind a bush that was above the bank leading to the muddy side of the river and the river itself. I had my styres barrell pointed out the front of the bush while I was looking through the scope for any movement on the other side of the river. I strained my hears hearing for any more gunshots or movement around the area. I just then realised that it was only one shot and not and return fire, that's when I realised that it could've been a hunter shooting his dinner, for safe measure I stayed down for five more minutes. I took a quick drink of water before standing up, the sun was fully in the sky now and it was starting to get hot. I slipped on some Oakley black operator shades and folded up my sleeves until they were above my elbows letting the wind cool of my arms and my sleeves not holding in the heat, there was also now sergeant to shout at me for wearing uniform incorrectly, but it also showed the white phosphorus burns on my left arm and the Maori tattoos on my right arm called ta moko. I checked down each side of the river before sliding down the bank to the muddy floor. The river was very convenient in having a log for me to cross over to get to the other side without getting wet. I did a quick double check before quickly moving across the log to the other side where I was going to scale up the bank to go find that hunter before I saw foot prints in the mud, I decided to follow them instead of finding the hunter since the gunshot was a while ago.I Followed them for about 5 minutes before the bank wall started getting lower and non existent where the foot prints go up onto the grass of the forest floor where they start to fade, I stopped and looked ahead of me. Up about twenty paces away was a small dirt trail that I could only see a small part of. I pushed the butt of my rifle into my shoulder and kept my eyes wide for any movement. As I continued to approach, it became clear to me there was no enemy either way of the path or in the bush. I also saw the faint drops of blood in the dirt and leaves, "the hunter must've come down here." I still had the butt of the rifle in my shoulder as I moved down the path to the left knowing I was heading to something from a scratched arrow in the wood of a tree on the path. Not long after I came to, what would be called an unsealed road made out of dirt very similar to the path I was just on with a wooden post fence going along each side of the road. The path was perpendicular to the road, to the left, the road continued straight and to the right was was a "T" section with a simple wooden sign at the end. I walked up to the sign and read what it had to say. Pointing to my right it said, "Mistral 82 miles." To my left it said, "Windstone 5 miles." And pointing to me or behind me it said, "Lake Matsu 30 miles." "I've never heard of any of these places, they use the imperial system and they could possibly be Asian, but the signs are English." I cut off that train of thought and decided to go left since it was the closest town and I wanted to know where I am and what the fuck is going on.