𝐓𝐎𝐔𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍

My leg bounced uncontrollably as I waited to hear news about my father's conditions

My leg bounced uncontrollably as I waited to hear news about my father's conditions. I was in oblivion when Nya woke me up to see the broadcast of my father being carried away in a gurney almost two blocks away.

I still was trying to process the whole thing. My father was the closest person to me. He taught me all I knew about the business and the ways around the streets. I've been extremely grateful for him, to say the least.

"Kofi, he's gonna be alright," Nya tried comforting me, rubbing my thigh.

I turned to her and pulled her into a hug, bursting into tears. I loudly wailed until the nurse cleared her throat, making me stop and look up at her. A warm smile appeared on her face as she began to speak, "Are you Kofi Siriboe?"

I nodded and listened as she started to talk again, "Well, your father is alive but is in critical condition as of right now and is able to talk some. It'll take some time for him to fully recover."

I let the new information sink into my head and let out a sigh of relief to hear that he was alive at least.

"May I go see him...alone?"

"Yes, you may. His room number is 202. If anything, just press the nurse button and I'll come to the rescue." She grinned, trying to brighten the mood but it wasn't helping. Nya giggled a little.

I stood up and headed straight for room 202. I went to open the door but I stopped, tearing up. Taking my hand off of the doorknob, I pulled out my phone to dial Ryan's number.

At first, I hesitated to press dial but I put my pride aside and called. My heart pounded while the phone rang and when it went to voicemail after the first ring, it shattered.

I couldn't really blame her at all; I had just fired her. I probably was being petty for it but what was done, was done. Now wasn't the right time for her to be ignoring me though. This was time I needed her smartass the most.

Maybe she'd be able to calm me down or even make a sarcastic remark to put a smile on my face.

I sighed, entering the quiet room. "Hey pops," I said lowly.

"Boy, don't come in here with that shit."

I chuckled, shaking my head, "I see you haven't lost all that mouth."

"I will never lose it, nigga. Had to cuss out your no-good mama when she realized you had a mouth like mine," he started laughing but it turned into a cough.

I ran over to his side, "Pops you good?" I said with worry in my voice.

The coughing turned into laughter and I sucked my teeth, going back to my chair. "I got yo ass good. Pops you good?"

"I'm gone nigga," I got up and went to the door but stopped in my tracks when he called my name.

"Sit down. I need to talk to you."