#8 ~ Song Of The Sea

A/N:
Sorry, I've been really busy. But I eventually got this done! Hopefully it's good and you all like it. Sorry about the wait

You giggled as you splashed your tail around. You're the princess of Atlantica. Your dad had died when you were younger, meaning your mum was pretty harsh on you.

Normally you'd spend the time swimming with the fish and combing your hair. Today you had decided to watch the beach. It was rainy, so you weren't expecting many people to be out.

You poked your head out of the water and looked around. You saw a boat leaving the beach and floating the water. Your curiosity took over and you decided to swim over to it.

You looked at the people on it. A boy was sitting on a crate. He was around your age. You scanned the boat to see if anyone else was aboard, but was surprised to see no one.

You watched him. He had started fishing, humming something under his breath. Subconsciously, you moved closer, keeping your body under the water just in case. The boy noticed some of the ripples in the water where you had last been. He threw a net out, tangling your tail in the wiring.

You muttered. "Crap". You grabbed onto the net and started pulling on it, hoping to get it free. You only stopped when you felt a sharp pain coming from it. You looked down to see it had started bleeding, and it was slowly surfacing, turning some of the water above red.

Eventually you got your tail out, and just in time too, as he had started pulling the net up onto the boat. It was obvious he had noticed the blood, because he was inspecting all the fish he had caught. He rubbed his neck and looked out at the water, noticing the still red part of the water.

"Hello?" He asked, "Anyone out there?" You were hesitant to answer. Your parents had always warned you of the land dwellers. They had told you they just wanted to sell us, or use us to put on display.

"Hello?" He asked again, "Whoever you are, I won't hurt you, I want to help". You took a deep breath. He sounded genuine. And trusting. You poked your head out of the water, causing him to stumble back a little.

"Hi," he said, "Are you okay?" You could only nod in response. Fear was slowly building up inside of you.
"I-i'm fine," you managed to stammer. He shook his head and held out his hand. You looked at it confused.

"How long have you been out here? Surely your clothes must be ruined" he said. You tilted your head, questioning what the hell he was on about.
"Clothes?" You asked. He chuckled a little.
"Yeah, clothes, you know, to wear, so you can cover yourself," he said.

"Oh, I'm fine" you said, smiling.
"I don't think you are, you're bleeding," he said, pointing to the blood that had surfaced again. You sighed.

"If I come out of the water, and sit on the boat, do you promise, not to freak out, or kidnap me, or something?" You asked. He looked at you as if you were crazy, and he burst out laughing.
"Why would I freak out?" He asked chuckling. You swam to the side of his boat that didn't have sides on and you hoisted yourself onto part of the deck.

"This is why," you said, showing him your tail. He looked at you dumbfounded.
"You're a mermaid?!" He exclaimed, his face lighting up. You nodded. He moved you so you couldn't be seen by anyone else and he sat near you. He inspected your tail.

"Crud, I did that, didn't I?" He asked. He seemed to feel guilty. You smiled.
"It's fine, it only stings a little," you said.

He nodded and kneeled down next to you, taking out some water proof bandages. He started wrapping it around the cut. You watched him do it and a smile made it's way onto your face. This human wasn't like all the ones your parents had told you about. He was nicer, he wasn't evil.

He finished and helped you back into the water. You smiled.
"What's your name?" You asked, "Mine is Princess Y/N". He smiled.
"That's a beautiful name, mine is Varian," he said, holding out his hand. You giggled a little and shook it.

"Happy to meet you, sir Varian," you chuckled. He chuckled a little too and rolled his eyes.
"Glad to meet you too, Princess Y/N" he said. You groaned.
"I hate being called princess," you said, a hint of anger in your voice. He laughed.

"Sorry," he apologized, standing up, "But seriously, it was awesome meeting you," he said. You nodded and dived under, the smile on your face had grew bigger ever since you had started smiling.

You giggled to yourself and swam back home to the kingdom. You swam to your room, sitting on your shell. You eventually dozed off to sleep, dreaming about what would come next.