#9 ~ Star Cross Lovers (Part 1)

The sun shone through your window and you let out a soft sigh, lifting up from your bed. You moved the hair out of the way of your eyes and slowly ambled to the mirror. You looked up to see your reflection and you smiled a little, reaching for the closest brush. You carefully brushed your hair with soft and slow strokes, before pulling on your slippers and walking out your room.

You looked at the calendar and smiled lots, it was a Saturday. You walked to the kitchen and picked up the newly made toast, your parents had already gone to work. You took a few bites of one of the slices before placing it down and strolling over to the window, pushing it open with little force.

You watched as the birds flew in unison, tweeting in a rhythmic tune and diving and dipping through the nearby trees. The children chasing each other around, giggling and laughing, tackling each other and shouting at the top of their lungs "Tag!". You smiled, their youthful spirits reminding you of when you were like that.

You let your attention wander, catching eyes with a boy. He lived across the street from you. He was sitting at a window, likely doing the same thing you had been doing. As soon as the two of you caught eye contact he looked straight down, causing you to tilt your head a little confused. You watched as a man walked inside the house the boy lived in, and you heard the shout of a name. "Varian! I'm home, time for dinner!" The boy glanced back up at you before rushing from the window.

You let out another sigh and retreated from the window, picking up the plate of toast again and walking to the living room, plonking yourself on the sofa. You flicked the tv on. You'd always wanted to make friends with someone from the other side of the street. But there was a divide between the two sides. You lived in the richer part of the street, whereas the ones across the road lived in not exactly poverty, but they struggled.

You finished your last slice of toast and took the plate back to the kitchen, placing it in the soapy water. You sat back next to the window and looked over at the window across from you. Sure enough, the boy had gone back to where he had been earlier. Once again, both of your eyes caught each other, but this time neither of you looked away. You smiled a little, and he did the same. You motioned to the few trees at the end of the street, where the opening of the forest stood. He nodded and scuttled away from the window.

You pulled on a coat and threw your slippers aside, pulling on some proper shoes. This was your chance. You pushed the door open and walked to the cover of the trees, waiting for the boy. He appeared next to you a few minutes later.

"Hi!" he said, a huge smile forming on his face. He looked a lot smaller here. He was slender with fair skin, and he had slightly small freckles. His hair was a shaggy black with the occasional brown highlights. He had light blue eyes. The one thing that stood out from the rest of him was the teal streak he had on the front of his hair.

"Hi!" you said back. You looked at him smiling. He wore a dark maroon apron, a blue-gray shirt with a teal patch sewn onto the it. He had long brown trousers, and he wore brown shoes and black gloves. Lastly, he wore brown and gold goggles on his head. "What's with the gloves?" you asked, hoping to start conversation.

He chuckled. "Maybe we should introduce ourselves first?" he asked, smiling. "My name is Varian, and you are...?"
"Oh my name is Y/N" you said, letting out a soft chuckle.

Varian stretched. "I do alchemy, that's why I wear gloves. No, alchemy is not magic before you ask, I mean not technically" He then adjusted the goggles on his head. "And the goggles are to protect my eyes when working with dangerous chemicals"

You nodded. "Nice to meet you Varian," you held out your hand and he took it, shaking it a little rough. You chuckled. "Okay, okay that's enough," you said, pulling your hand away.

He laughed and rubbed his arm. "Sorry about that, i've just never met someone from the other side of the street that's the same age as me," he smiled. He was a pretty bouncy and energetic person. You'd never seen anyone like it.

"Soooo... wanna be friends?" you asked, looking into his blue eyes. He looked at you, once again the two of you catching each others eyes. It felt like the two of you had met or something before, like it was meant to be. You both looked away at the same time, straight at your feet.

He nodded and rubbed the back of his neck, looking back up at you, "Y-yeah" he stammered smiling. He smiled lots.

You went to say something before someone shouted Varian's name. He jumped and looked over at his house and froze. His dad was shouting around for him. He looked at you and smiled. "I'll see you around Y/N!" He ran off, stumbling as he went. When he got to his dad, he watched as he went inside. He looked back at you and smiled. He waved before running back inside.

You waved back dreamily and walked home, throwing off your coat and shoes. You flopped back onto the sofa and closed your eyes smiling, allowing yourself to fall asleep.