07│You're Welcome!

Jivika~

Frustrated.

That's my middle name.

Let me give a better explanation.

How does the Vienna Congress's demands affect my life? Does that panel decide whether I get into a good engineering college? Or without memorizing those demands would I be kicked out of this country, huh?

Or worse, if I don't know what happened to Prussia, would my Aadhaar card be terminated? After all, a single piece of 'kaagaz' (paper) is more important for this nation!

Even if it were some sin theta's and cos theta's or even any x and y's,  I could have dealt with it.

But this is unbearable.

Well, I hope that at least Metternich is getting entertained in hell.

"Yaar! Why does this Lata ma'am keep board tests?!"

"Maybe you should be studying now, right Lavanya?!" asked Lata ma'am with her sickeningly sweet voice, along with her customary style of stretching our names.

God, this lady gives me chills.

Lavanya, on other hand, is suffering from a massive heart attack.

Hah. Lavanya shocked, Lata ma'am rocked.

Groaning, she buried her head into the book for the umpteenth time while I close my textbook, stretching my arms and limbs which had gone numb.

I watch the librarian driving the children away from the untouched book shelves. Libraries where we the books are kept for display rather than reading. I run my eyes over the dictionary at one corner, the Biology books misplaced in the Philosophy section and the Enid Blyton books in the other corner of the room.

I settled for Tagore's Gitanjali and ran my fingers over the cold sepia pages, old and torn that even the librarian did not mind me taking it.

Giving up on the history test, I settled at a corner and in a few minutes the poems swallowed me in their world.

And that's when the bell rang.

My fingers lightly scratched the blue cushion of the chair. Staring intently at the fan above me, moving round and round at an extremely slow pace, I pushed myself away from the jet black granite countertop on which my hands were rested, and after a few lazy minutes, headed towards my class where I was awaited by my History test.

"You had time to read Gitanjali ?"

That was the only accusation I faced.

Giving a wistful smile, I replied, "Had to make sure that Metternich did not get into my head!"

We hid our books, careful not to remind Lata ma'am about the test by removing and destroying all the traces. The whole class watched through the window, as she talked with the other teachers and walked down the stairs in slow motion. His hand at his heart, Shreyansh screamed out.

"Dil mai dak-dak horela!"
["My heart is beating like crazy!"]

On seeing the unusual stillness spread over the class, being a dutiful monitor, I urged them to make more noise. Our silence would only make her believe that there was something wrong with the class today.

Had it been that easy.

"Children, wasn't there a test today?"

Earning our response through our groans, we saw the white board being divided into four vertical sections.