16│Almost There

Jivika~

A question for you.

Guess the most useless day of the week.

If your answer is Saturday, then yes my genius, you are the winner of this season's 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?'.

I mean, who keeps school on a Saturday?

Half of the student population choose to be absent. Working parents are lazy to wake up and prepare lunch for their kids, so a better solution: Don't send children to school on Saturdays! Bravo!

Teachers themselves, attend the school just because they don't want to waste their leaves. And throughout the whole day they won't enter any classes. Just sit around in groups and provide their constructive criticism (read: bitching) about teachers of the neighboring schools.

And we.

We the few who have no choice but attend the school just to see a 'present' mark next to our names, have nothing to do.

Literally nothing.

Or maybe it was just me doing nothing.

Lavanya was busy with her sermon on Taylor Swift. She had quite some audience; Rhea, Amaya and Laysa forming an integral part among the listeners. Ranting on about every detail, every gossip behind each of Swift's songs, I figured out that it won't be too long before these 'Swifties' start spurting out echoes, screams and shouts. Or music if that's the right term.

Kiara and Maahi were resting on my shoulders, one on the right and the other to the left.

"Guys, start paying the next time you use my shoulders as your headrest!"

Kiara let out a sigh.

"Your shoulder is so perfect! Its like ... how to explain? The right amount of fat, the height, gosh its perfect!"

"Uh ... thanks?"

The class was in chaos. But there was a weird stillness among the three of us. This calmness as if time was still and not moving at all. Laziness in the air intensified as we simultaneously let out our tiring sighs.

We were sitting on top of the benches as if we ruled the world. The sight of a teacher, and we would be jumping back to our seats.

Looking outside the window I see the green patches of our ground, kissed with the pearls of water and a curtain of sunlight draped over them. The lightest hue of a rainbow, after a quick morning shower.

Juniors taking laps around the ground, huffing and puffing, serving for their tardiness. One trying to overtake the others and smoothly landing on the muddy ditch.

The watchman and our school coach running around with bamboos in their hands, trying to drive out the cows wandering on the school ground.

A ten year old, showing off his latest watch to his classmates. Hands in the air, the gestures were enough to give us a glimpse of what was happening there.

We used to be like those ten year old cockroaches.

"Pretty isn't it?"

"When did you land here?" I asked him, surprised at the swap of seating arrangements.

And where are my little koala bears who were cuddling me few seconds ago? Oh! There they are, Kiara flirting her heart out with her boyfriend and Maahi teaching history to Prajakta, using the most vulgar examples to prove her point of why 'Iron and Steel industry' bossed around the other smaller ones.