27│Part Of Your World

Jivika~

"Amaan no!"

Half of the class yelled at him, screeching their lungs out. And that half included me. But the rest of the population cheered on him, overtaking us through their screams of, 'Yes Amaan, yes!'. It was bad enough that I had a cold and my japan-attack together, but now my head was throbbing as well.

Who would want the fan on at full speed in this month of December? Not me, definitely not me!

Clad in our school's uniform hoodie was Amaan, everything except for his face covered up. He had the hood on, and a tight knot to make sure that it wont come down. And then there were us, who had our hoodies tied to our waists, almost acting like a skirt over our kurtas. Not to mention, playing the perfect role of a stain-shield during our periods.

"Twenty-three degree celsius is not winter Jivika!"

"It is Amaan. Please stop the fan."

"No it is not. Wear your sweater. You are a Delhiite! You know what winter is!"

"Amaan why are you wearing a sweater and then putting the fan at high speed?"

This time it was Kiara. My best friend was agitated. And I could see that. The whole class had taken their stands, it was a fifty-fifty. Amaan glared at Krish who was constantly putting the fan at zero. Swatting away his hands, he stood waiting, demanding an explanation.

"Why are you glaring like that? She took my sweater, not my fault!"

Saying so, he pointed at the girl sitting next to Maahi. Head rested on the bench, she let out loud snores, sleeping to her heart's content. Lavanya had disappeared inside Krish's hoodie, and that too, quite literally. Surrounded by comfort and with the fan at full speed, she had drifted off to sleep, accompanied by the soft and slow pats on her head by Maahi.

Maahi had tried her level best to make Krish do what she was doing. But when the latter took up the job, he knocked on the Lavanya's head, making her wake up for a second or two.

The arguments regarding the fan came to an end, when Lata ma'am walked into the class. On her asking, all of together started off quaking about the problem, an utter chaos generated. Asking us to stop screaming, she asked Maahi to explain the situation. That soldier was on our side.

"Ma'am fifty percent of the class, specifically the ones who are secured in the luxury of their sweaters, have been in constant demand of the fan at full speed. However, the other fifty percent, the ones deprived of the privileges, have put forth their humble opinion on why the fans should put off. And due to the disagreement among the two strata of the society, I mean class, we also conducted a poll. Unfortunately, both the parties did not cross the majority mark because of the unprecedented result of majority votes going to NOTA."

As her speech came to an end, I stared at her dumbstruck. What the hell did she say?

A smile playing on her lips, Lata ma'am asked Krish to switch on the fan, at the speed of one. And soon after, the ticking sound of the fan at slow speed irritated the whole class, much to the satisfaction of Lata ma'am. Smiling, she proceeded to count the notebooks submitted for correction, and announced in her usual sing-song.

"All my heroes, please move to the back of the class. Sachin?"

"No ma'am, please."

"Sachin."

She stretched her call, as he stood at his place reluctant to move. I don't know what hit me but all of a sudden, without any warning, I, the ideal student and a sane human being as well, started slamming my desk chanting, "Sachin! Sachin!". And following me by two claps, the whole class yelled out, "Sachin, Sachin! Sachin, Sachin!".