39│The End

Jivika~

22nd July 2020

I scrolled through the pictures of our yesterday's hangout, simultaneously pressing the blank heart to make it pink at once, resulting in me 'liking' Rhea's latest post.

Yesterday was so much fun.

As my phone beeped on the 1% charge warning, I knocked myself off my bed, crashing my knee on the shelf nearby but victorious in plugging the phone before it switched off. Glancing up at the old vintage clock hung against the 'Harry Potter' poster on the wall, I realized that I had been scrolling through my feed for more than an hour.

The pandemic had resulted in our visa's getting cancelled.

But now that the situation was better they got renewed. Results were declared, and we did not waste another second to book our tickets. The results were good—a whooping 93 percent. And yes, I would be leaving tomorrow around this time. Around six.

The packing was more or less done, I mean we were not packing everything away. Our flat was still going to be here cause Ma had taken leave for just two years, and then she would've to come back.

Hence we had our ceremonial day out yesterday. All seven of us. The usual. Movies, malls and heavenly food. And tomorrow Kiara will be there to drop me off at the airport. Maybe Lavanya might also tag along.

I told you right? Won't find another one like her, Kiara.

Having nothing to do except watching my phone recharge, I decided to head out for a bit, to clear my mind. Armed with a mask and hand sanitizer even if the norms were relaxed, I informed my mother and walked away, cushioning my feet in those blue sport shoes.

Greeting Archana auntie with a 'Namastey', I walked out of the building, not bothering to look back to see the sight of the hawk eyes of that nosy lady.

Sad reality, she was also a teacher in our school.

Walking into the park nearby, I spotted the Momo waale uncle (Dumpling seller) and quickly headed towards my destination.

"Uncle, ek plate paneer momo!" I said, handing over the money, not bothering about the change, as I took a glimpse of those steaming delights.
[Uncle, one plate Paneer dumpling!]

"Ek aur!"
[One more!]

I was not surprised, not at all. Life had given me enough surprises that I've understood the whole phenomenon. The person took his plate and walked away, before he stopped.

"Chale?"
[Let's go?]

"You want to sit there Tili? Under a tree? Where the birds who have no control over their digestive system's sit?" I spitted out, feigning agony over his choice. A victim of the digestion problems of pigeons, I had learnt my lesson.

"Would you rather walk around a park where your Archana auntie might see you?" he countered, knowing the answer beforehand. Watching me stumped, we walked towards the bench, settling down just in time to see the sun nestled against the Western Ghats. The Banyan tree had long roots which hung from above, shielding us away from the rest of the population present in Tulips Society Children's Park.

The orange hue basked our faces as I watched those elderly people bent over and laugh, their everyday Yoga drill. Smiling, I offered him a single Momo. He nodded in negative, pointing at his own untouched plate.