09│Bare Necessity

Jivika~

Squirming in my seat, I lightly grazed the graphite tip on the corner of the page, trying to make the eye look realistic.

Angling the book in all directions possible, I tried to have an overall look of my sketch.

Quite good for a quick five minute portrait.

Two more hours to go. And then a fifty days break from this hellhole. Summer vacations, here I come!

Satisfied with my artwork, I turned around to join their talks.

There goes Kiara, searching for something in the deep ends of her schoolbag. Funny how things we want are never there at the time of our needs. The trio of Laysa, Amaya and Rhea were content watching her struggles. Even that was a show as well. Giving up, she ran her hands through her hair.

"What are you searching for?"

"My diabetes tablets, I swear I put them in this tiny bag-pocket!"

And as usual, tube-light moments always occur at unexpected times. Breaking her silence, Laysa muttered.

"So basically...Kiara is carrying drugs?"

And the series of laughter continued even after Kiara found her apparent 'drugs'.

Why?

Because Rhea somehow caught on to the word loose stools as a side-effect of the medication. And that's it. With our immaturity at its peak, we went beserk. Well, except for Lavanya. The queens of these kind of jokes not laughing caught me by surprise as I checked what the little vixen was up to.

Crushing the glue stick tube against the piece paper, I watch her clumsily paste the picture onto the pastel sheet, banging her hand on the picture thrice, ensuring it stuck to the page. Hastily noting down the name of the scientist below printed black and white picture, she closed the journal abruptly, slamming it on the table, which resulted in the other stationary items sliding off from the surface.

"At last! I thought it will not finish on time!" Lavanya let out a sigh of relief, but soon enough her eyes widened, observing the mess she had created.

Scraps of waste paper all around accompanied by the colourful clutter of crayons, sketch pens, markers and scissors, strewn on the ground.

Deciding she needed help, Kiara, Maahi and I kneeled on the ground, picking up the things and arranging them accordingly.

"You had to wait till the last day to submit the journal, right?" Kiara asked amusingly.

"Who gives a project few days before the holidays?! I had not even planned to do it, she's a temporary teacher after all, few days and she'll be out! And the only purpose of her giving that project was cause of the mass bunk the class did!" she ranted, her hands dancing in the air, trying to catch up with the change of her facial expressions.

"Then why did you d—"

"Why?! Cause my mother is a teacher in this damned school! And this lady came to know that particular bit when she saw me taking the house keys from mom yesterday, after school. You should have seen that ugly smirk of hers!"

"But what do you people have against Soumya ma'am?" came the meek question from Krish.

"Yes! Why?"

Just before Kiara was about the smash off Parth's head, Amaan came to his rescue.

"Exactly! Why don't you guys like that lady? She's so sweet!"