Chapter 23 - Playing His Game

Asimina

The day is here, my deadline, my birthday. The day I'm meant to magically just get past everything. I'm nervous and anxious to the point of throwing up. I'm in love with him. He's the only man I've fallen in love with. The only man I crave and melt for. However, the trust issues are still there.

The ladies are here in the guest house, getting breakfast ready. I sit on the sofa, regretting what I have planned, questioning if I should go through with it.

"The men will be here soon," Bianca squeals excitedly. "I can't wait for this!"

We're expecting the capos, Raffaele, and my cousin Nick. Although he is not a capo, he will soon be on the Morelli payroll, so my plan considers them all. The knock on the door has my body jolting, and my heart banging against my chest. Mia opens the front door and lets in Julia and Kat, settling again briefly. The ladies make their way over, wishing me a happy birthday.

"You're nervous," Kat states the obvious. I roll my eyes at her. "It's your birthday Mina, be bubbly." She giggles, knowing all too well what's in store for today.

"He picked a day to want an answer!" I breathe, burying my face into my hands.

Julia walks over and sits on the floor with Nathan as he plays with his toys. "What's for breakfast?" she asks, changing the subject, hoping it will distract me.

"A range of pastries and some other bits and pieces," Nat answers and finishes off the last platter.

Bianca and Mia stroll over, setting everything on the coffee table and handing me a freshly brewed coffee. "He loves you so much, Mina," Bianca claims, attempting to settle my frenzied state.

"He was miserable, spent the last year and a half tracking down Agosti men, running DNA tests and killing them off." Exhaling slowly, I bring the cup to my lips, taking a sip of the sweet coffee, as I listen to her. "You will take him by surprise, but he might surprise you."

I can't help but laugh, "Are sure about that? I have a feeling we will see the Demon."

Mia places her hand on my arm, and I meet her eyes. "The truth is, each of those men respects you and considers you one of us."

"Their friendships are limited, and it means nothing when their boss gives them an order, right?" I question. I thought I built friendships. Two of those men are married to my sisters, yet that's still not enough, it will never be enough. If Raffaele orders, they comply.

She exhales and lowers her head, not arguing my point. My nerves stir, an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I feel nauseated. "You don't look too great!" Jaz giggles.

"Why do you all find this funny?" I ask, annoyed. "My request comes at a high price. He's going to be fuming!" Agitated I stand and start pacing. Looking out the window I see all the Morelli's and crew heading to the guest house. Bile makes its way into my mouth, and I run for the bathroom.

"Shit, you're that anxious?" Julia comes and stands at the door.

"Seriously, Julia? You know the details of what I'm about to hand to him." I wipe my mouth with the towel.

"I do, and I think it's brilliant." She laughs.

I jump to my feet at the sound of the front door and push Julia out of the bathroom. My heart pounds in my chest, listening to their laughter. Composing myself, I brush my teeth. I need the taste of bile out of my mouth. God, I think I'm going to pass out.

Hearing their voices, I take in a breath and straighten up, shaking off some of my nerves, wiping my sweaty palms on my pants, I turn the doorknob, and take slow steps to the living area. Either way, all this needs to get settled today.