Chapter 35 - Luciano Dante Morelli

Asimina

"M-my w-water broke," she stutters.

My heart starts beating erratically. We're on a God damn plane. She's only twenty-eight weeks. A million thoughts run through my head, none of them good. I snap my eyes to Petro. He stares back, trying to process. He's the only doctor on board. However, he's neither an obstetrician nor a pediatrician.

Stefano jumps to his feet and runs over to Jaz. "Are you sure?" he asks anxiously.

The room falls silent to the point you could hear a pin drop. Sal and Tommy's mouths hang open. They stare down at Jaz's feet. Maria and Kat's eyes widen, and their lips pull into a tight line. Fear, confusion, and panic begin thinning the air. It's taking us all a few moments to register.

"Water is trickling down my legs, Stefano, and the bed in there is drenched. So yeah, I'm sure!"

Taking heavy breaths, she squeezes her eyes shut. "This can't be happening. I'm only twenty-eight weeks. It's too early!"

She turns abruptly, digging her nails into Stefano's forearms and falling to her knees. "Shit!" she yells.

Her features scrunch together from the pain. She's getting contractions. Chills run down my spine at the memory of how much this shit hurts. Petro rushes over and has a feel of her stomach, confirming it was indeed a contraction.

Kat and Maria swallow the clog in their throats. For women who haven't experienced labor, this is a nightmare. Some things are best left as a surprise, labor being one of those things.

"Oh, God, that hurt!" she screeches.

Stef and Petro glance at each other. Nodding, they pull her to her feet and walk her over to the sofa. I bring myself to kneel in front of her. "Hey," I give her hand a gentle squeeze.

"This is going to hurt, isn't it?" she asks.

Unconsciously I frown. "Listen, it's going to be okay. Petro-" I pause. She knows this isn't his field. I fumble for words but come up blank. There's nothing I can say that will be comforting for her.

"Jaz, I need you to tell me if you felt anything before your water broke?" Petro questions. With his hands on his waist, he exhales slowly. He's trying to hide his anxiety, but I see through him. Her shoulders slump, and she stares blankly into space, trepidation consumes her, as tears escape.

"Jaz, can you answer Petro's question?" I gently prod.

Flinching, she takes a deep breath, "I had hiccups."

"Hiccups?" Stefano repeats as a question.

"You mean Braxton hicks?" I clarify.

"It's the same thing," she claims. Running her hands through her hair, her chest rises and falls rapidly.

"It isn't, and they weren't Braxton hicks." Petro gives her a crooked smile. "Listen, all doctors train in basic delivery. It's a first for me, Jaz, but we will get both of you through this." I'll hand it to him. He's doing well hiding the fact he's horrified at the situation. The last thing you want is to add stress to a woman in labor.

"I'm only twenty-eight weeks Petro. He's too early!" A cry leaves her lips, the reality of the situation sinking in.

Putting aside my fears in our current situation. I keep her engaged. "He's a Morelli. Just like the rest of them, he's impatient, stubborn, and demanding." I smile at her. "He's ready to meet you, Jaz. What baby wants, baby gets!"

I sweep my eyes over to Petro. He pulls his suit jacket off and rolls up his sleeves. "You two," he points to a mortified Tommy and Sal. Color has left their faces at the thought of witnessing a birth. "Get your phones out and time her contractions. I need to know how far apart and how long each one lasts."